cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our 2006 205 Sport, used every...

Desert_Soul
Guest Contributor

Our 2006 205 Sport, used every week until 2015 and then sat uncovered with a seized engine in 12 to 50+ degrees centigrade for over 5 years... and along came COVID and I needed a project   

The refurb took place in our car port during April to September 2020, much of this time was spent waiting for spares as the logistics companies worked out how to move stuff out to the Middle East, but piece by piece in 40+ degrees, the work is now complete. Hope you like it - some details of what was done during the process. 

1. Rip it to pieces, removing all wood (all rotten), most of the electrics and pretty much everything else not permanently part of the hull!

2. Remake all of the woodwork with fully varnished marine ply (unlike the original cheap untreated ply) and re-cover/paint.

3. Complete engine rebuild, altering from 5.0 Carburettor to 5.7 MPI and fit all new marine parts, together with a full transom overhaul. 

4. Re-upholster all seats and sun deck (also new wood) in new colour scheme.

5. Install separate electrical system for audio, LED lighting and dash ancillaries, together with 2 x 120AH batteries. Also upgraded alternator and additional 90AH running battery.

6. Install 4000W Rockford/Fusion/Kicker audio system

7. Remake all carpets and canvas.

8. Design and install wrap.

9.  Stand back and have a beer!

Main points I noticed in the whole process is that everything you can easily see on the boat is awesome quality, but most of what you can't see is not  Now it's all a consistently high quality  Had a lot of fun, stress and lost 10kg in the process, but totally worth the effort!

4 REPLIES 4

Desert_Soul
Guest Contributor
FYI - Upgraded from 5.0 Carb to 5.7 MPI. Well worth it, but had a problem with the Gear Change Ignition Interrupt, which we thought was all down to adjustment and old cables, until realising that the Carb interrupt actually grounds the ignition for a split second which just dos not work with the MPI. After scouring the internet for days we found a small comment that on the MPI the ignition circuit is broken, not grounded. This meant that I needed to spend about $180 on a new shift plate kit and wait anther 2-3 weeks to get it from USA.... So I designed another solution, staying with the original Plate and Microswitch that used the original grounding of the signal to activate a relay and simply wired the ignition through the relay - it worked great! (And cost $12 🙂 )

wingless
Rising Contributor
Wow!

Welcome to the forum!

Great job w/ great details.

Note that the relay might not be a good long term solution. It consumes time (a very small amount) for the relay contacts to move and that time might change as things age.

An alternative solution would be to use a transistor circuit that would always be immediate.

Desert_Soul
Guest Contributor
Many thanks for the support, I did notice a minor delay, but had to use what was available here. I'll look into the transistor option for sure - what current is it switching?

wingless
Rising Contributor
YW

If this were me I would use an ammeter (with peak hold) to measure the current and to determine the polarity for those connections.

Armed w/ that info I would select a transistor then design a circuit.