cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I own a 2000 340.  Purchased from...

Zuki
Guest Contributor

I own a 2000 340.  Purchased from a good friend.  Looks and runs like new.  Refrig in main cabin.  died.  NORCOLD. The replacement refrig by NORCOLD is 1" too wide for the doorway leading to downstairs. Is it possible to remove the sliding door, and replace? To get refrig downstairs and install. In the alternative, is there another mfg that sells a quality refrige that is a bit smaller than the NORCOLD?

18 REPLIES 18

300_sunpancer
Guest Contributor
Look at Dometic brand fridge from Raneys Chrome.

rsg
Guest Contributor
Yes sliding door can be removed but this does take some time as you have to remove the panel to the left where the door slides behind. Once the panel is off you then have access to the sliding door and track. From there you need to remove the screws at the top and bottom which hold the roller trucks on to the track. I would measure first to make sure this gives you the room you need as this process takes time. You may also want to replace the 4 roller trucks whiile everything is exposed as they tend to wear down over time.

Tta
Guest Contributor
I quite successfully replaced my original fridge on my 2003 340 Sundancer. I’m pretty sure my model is same as yours, since mine is the older style. (Newer, current style came out ~June 2003.). I’m out of town till tomorrow (Monday), and will check my file for the refridge make and model.

I will say my replacement fridge is superior to the original one. For one thing, the door latch system on the new one is more secure. The double click upon shutting the door keeps it shut even when bouncing around when motoring in rough conditions. The door on the original refridge used to pop open with frequency during moderate rough water while motoring, dumping the refridge contents on the galley floor. Also the old freezer compartment would ice up much more readily the my replacement. The new one is a bit more spacious, I believe, especially the freezer.

I’ll look up the info on my replacement and report back in a day or two. BTW, didn’t need to remove the sliding door to get the replacement refridge installed.

travel

Lew1
Guest Contributor
We also have a 2000 340. Our refrigerator died several years ago. The Norcold is larger than the cabin opening. I had to remove the coils from the back of the fridge and duck tape them on to the top. I removed the handle from the hatch so that it come be pushed further in ((make a loop of duct tape on the hatch so that you will be able to pull it back out). Once out, we replaced it with a Vitrefrigo refrigerator. It was smaller in size than the Norcold, but larger in volume. We also order the trim kit for a larger opening caused by the Norcold. It fit through the hatch and with the trim kit looks perfect. We've had it for about four years now with no problem. If you need the model number let me know.

Zuki
Guest Contributor
That would be great. Many thanks. !!

Don Dickson

Government Training LLC

(301) 455-5633

Georgianbayboat
Guest Contributor
I did the exact same retrofit as Lew on my 2000 340 except I disassembled the fridge and took it out in pieces. The new vitrefrigo went right in and I didn’t have to touch the cabin door.

Dave_Kerr
Guest Contributor
My case was in good shape so I ordered the mechanical part from Norcold and swapped it out. While I was at it I ordered a door seal, new door shelves, and the wire shelves. It's back in service and doing great. I can't set the temp above 2 or it ices over.

Den
Guest Contributor
Removing the cabin slider is a chore. Assume you’ve removed the door from the new unit to get a fit. Correct?

Lew1
Guest Contributor
Zuki...we installed a Vitrifrigo C115iAC 4.2 cu. ft. AC/DC . At the time it was $1207.00. Good luck. If you have any question let me know.

Lew1
Guest Contributor
also... we purchased it online from Bay Marine Supply.

Dano11
Guest Contributor
Have you considered removing the Refrigerator door instead?

Zuki
Guest Contributor
We did remove the door, still too small.

We have decided to buy a new refridge and take the NORCOLD home and use it in a outdoor kitchen.

Thanks for the input.

Best,

Don

Don Dickson

Government Training LLC

(301) 455-5633

Dave_Kerr
Guest Contributor
Ours failed on our 99 DA340. I ordered the mechanical parts from Norcold, changed them out and it's like new. At the same time we ordered new shelves, trays, etc. You could take the parts from your new fridge and transfer to the original. It was pretty simple.
Dave Kerr

Zuki
Guest Contributor
In retrospect, I wish I had taken this path. This job has taken on a life of its own but we are almost there. New unit installed yesterday.

Thanks Dave. It was a tough lesson. But, all is ok now.

Don Dickson

Government Training LLC

(301) 455-5633

Tta
Guest Contributor
Just lost my post...will try again.
Are you still looking for a refrig solution? I own a 2003 340 Sundancer and successfully changed out my refrig in 2011 with a Norcold. I think it was model #DE0041. You can email me for more details at [email protected]. I can go to my boat in hopes of confirming the model # if this is still a current issue. I believe the dimensions are 30.7" H by 23" W. It was very tight getting it into the cabin, and experienced a slight, rather negligible,1/2" cut in the vinyl in the process. Overall, the new refrig has more room than the original and is quiet, reliable and hasn't frosted up like the old one would do. Hope this is helpful.

Tim A

Zuki
Guest Contributor
We went ahead and bought a different brand. A bit more expensive but does the job great. We could not fit the replace NORCOLD through the gangway. About 1” too large.

Thanks! Enjoy your boat.

D

Don Dickson

Government Training LLC

(301) 455-5633

Tta
Guest Contributor
👍😊

wingless
Rising Contributor
When I replaced the dead NoCold 'fridge on my 2000 380DA there was NO WAY I was going to disassemble my brand new Isotherm for installation.

Instead I just removed the boat parts to the level that Sea Ray had when they installed the refrigerator and other large parts in my cabin.

Once old out / new in I reassembled my boat.
Community Tips

We want your journey here to be as great as can be, so we have put together some links to help you get quickly familiarized with the Community.