cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midwest Fishing Spots for Kids

WaterWanderlust
Team Ripl
Team Ripl

I want my kids to love fishing, but we RARELY can catch anything. Are there any good lakes close to the Chicagoland area that are great for kids and the fish are biting? 🙂 We're willing to travel too, but nothing longer than 5 hours from North Chicago.

Also, any fishing hacks or tips with kids are VERY welcome here. It most definitely is probably user/parent error. Ha. 

Thanks so much for the help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CaptainJon
Guest Contributor

Absolutely. Instead of going to Wisconsin, try West Michigan. St. Joseph, South Haven, Saugatuck and Holland all have fish biting right off the piers. These will mostly be catfish and other bottom feeders, but talk to the local bait and marine stores. They can guide you in where to fish and with what bait. 

Happy Fishing! 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CaptainJon
Guest Contributor

Absolutely. Instead of going to Wisconsin, try West Michigan. St. Joseph, South Haven, Saugatuck and Holland all have fish biting right off the piers. These will mostly be catfish and other bottom feeders, but talk to the local bait and marine stores. They can guide you in where to fish and with what bait. 

Happy Fishing! 

Thanks @CaptainJon! Just figured out tagging. Really appreciate the tips. 

Girlof10klakes
Guest Contributor

I’ve heard the fishing can be great on the Navy Pier right in Chicago! If you’re looking for something scenic, head towards Door County or Green Bay. There are awesome walleye, lake trout and salmon fishing opportunities. Plus close to the beach which I’m sure the kids and adults will love!