cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello I have a 2000 380 and am...

Wailea
Guest Contributor

Hello I have a 2000 380 and am looking for the replacement to the onboard battery charger. Has anyone had luck replacing this 

15 REPLIES 15

wingless
Rising Contributor
Thanks for posting this in the Sea Ray Stream so all can assist...

It is not surprising to me that the original charger is not currently available. There is nothing special about that charger.

My suggestion is to properly replace / upgrade to a currently available three bank name brand commercial battery charger. I would also suggest getting the largest output that will physically fit into that location.

When mine died I used a 50A Charles charger. That is an exceptional device, but is also not currently available.

Wailea
Guest Contributor
I am fairly clueless about these things. Any thoughts if this would work.

wingless
Rising Contributor
That looks like a nice choice.

It looks to fit in the location, from eyeball and from memory.

A better choice would be to measure the boat to confirm fit.

Wailea
Guest Contributor
10/4 thanks again. Now just have to figure out how to safely install it.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Yes, 100% safety first.

Here is the manual.

https://www.promariner.com/-/media/inriver/63110_USE.pdf?modified=20211027183845

The 380DA has excellent wiring, using contactors instead of manual battery disconnect switches. The factory properly wired the output charging wires to the battery side of the contactor, so the charger would squirt into the battery, even when the contactor is set into the off position.

The safest old disconnect / new install method is to turn off the AC Converter, then verify zero AC shore power supplied to the device. I really like using a blinky / chirpy "sniffer" to detect AC voltage.

Then turn off all three battery contactors.

Then carefully remove, set aside to avoid electrical contact with any metal and especially any battery positive terminal, securing every single battery negative cable to prevent contact (all thick black battery wires). Verify nothing onto every single battery negative terminal (VERY important).

Verify 0 VDC from all three existing charger output wires (red) to ground (black).

Now the wiring is safe to handle.

Follow the manual instructions.

Remove the old charger, including the AC input and the DC output wires.

Follow the device mounting and the wiring instructions on pages 9 + 10.

Place the included temperature probe as instructed on page 11.

Select the battery chemistry type as shown on page 13.

Wailea
Guest Contributor
thank you very much Wingless, I am unsure how to turn off the 3 contactors, do I need to somehow open the old charging unit?
Also if i disconnect all shower power, turn off panel and disconnect each battery terminal will that not create a safe environment?

wingless
Rising Contributor
YW

On the salon and the engine room main electrical panels are three adjacent illuminated rocker switches, labeled: "MAIN BATTERY SOLENOIDS" and "PORT / STBD / GEN" and "ENERGIZE" and "DE-ENERGIZE". Those three rocker switches, at both locations, control the contactors. Ensure all three contactors are off.

Yes, disconnecting the shore power w/ the generator off will ensure the AC power supply is safely disconnected.

Yes, disconnecting every single wire from every single battery negative terminal and preventing those wires from touching other metal surfaces or battery terminals will ensure the DC supply is safely disconnected.

Wailea
Guest Contributor
Got it thank you,
and it is only necessary to disconnect the negative supply to each?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Yes, only every single wire removed and isolated from every single battery negative terminal, after AC power is removed from the boat.

wingless
Rising Contributor
ZERO intent as disparagement, please note that if the listed steps are beyond the skills available to the OP, then a qualified installer should instead be used for this task.

There is a dangerously huge amount of current available on the DC side, so the proper disconnection is required to ensure safety.

Wailea
Guest Contributor
Zero taken and I appreciate the place it comes from. I know just enough to know the danger. I appreciate the advice.

Royalboater
Guest Contributor
We have them and you can reach us at Consumer Marine Supply

Wailea
Guest Contributor
Conventional thinking would have me believe the one lead offset from the others would be the ground. While the 3 clustered would be port starboard and generator? Photo of the bottom of the old charger

wingless
Rising Contributor
That is a good speculation. A guess is not a good process for this project.

My suggestion is to remove the nylon wire tie and / or tape securing the ends of split loom over the wire insulation to expose the insulation colors.

Another option is to use a multimeter to verify continuity (Ohms) from the suspected ground to the ground bus bar. Same measurement possible w/ the other three.

Wailea
Guest Contributor
I know what you were thinking “is this goofball really going to guess” after further review the top of the posts were colored 3 red 1 black. All good and I lived. Installed! Thank you again for all the coaching. I owe you a lot of beer and steak when you come to Wisconsin.