cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to replace my anchor line...

Takin_Bets
Guest Contributor

I need to replace my anchor line and chain on my 2002 340D. Any good leads on a supplier? Most companied don't have lines already set up for w windless. Thanks!!

9 REPLIES 9

wingless
Rising Contributor
Why not just make your own rode? It is not difficult to effect the chain / rope splice.

There are many links on performing that task, here is one.

https://www.anchoring.com/blogs/anchoring/how-to-do-a-rope-to-chain-splice

When I did mine, I draped the chain over a saw horse, so the end was dangling down. That made the splice "easy".

The windlass capstan has an embossed size that MUST be matched, or the parts WON'T pass properly through the windlass.

Ensure there is sufficient chain length. A good wingless-rule-of-thumb is to at-least double the minimum suggested requirements.

All marine suppliers and Amazon sell rode that is complete and ready-to-use, in all sizes and lengths.

Takin_Bets
Guest Contributor
Thanks Wingless. I may go with the 8 plait but if not I will certainly try to do my own - Thanks again -

Teacher_s_Pet
Guest Contributor
I ordered for my ‘99 340 from Sailorsams.com in 2018. Great prices and service.

https://www.sailorsams.com/boat-anchor-chains-and-lines

Takin_Bets
Guest Contributor
I will check them out - Thanks!

Drago
Rising Contributor
Have you tried reversing your rig? pull the rope out,, splice the boat end to the chain and save your self some money assuming you have not already done this in the past

Takin_Bets
Guest Contributor
Thanks Drago. I did actually try that along with soaking in fabric softener, etc. It worked for awhile after reversing it, but not for very long. The boat was in brackish water for 17 years and I think the salt water finally got to it. I did end up getting a new one from American Rope Company. They were EXTREAMLY helpful, there prices were anywhere from a little less than others to less than half of others. I prices new line and chain from 5 companies and American Rope was by far the best. I ended up with 250ft of 8 plait with 25ft of G43 chain for 290.00

270SDASE
Guest Contributor
West Marine will back splice anchor line to chain, ONLY if bought new from them. I think there are some online places that will sell line & chain combos much cheaper the West Marine. Doing the back splice yourself is the cheapest, but depending on how fussy your windlass is and your back splice skill is, I’ve found it’s hard to get it tight enough for the gypsy to grab it during anchor retrieval. Good luck no matter your plan!

Takin_Bets
Guest Contributor
Thanks 270SDASE. I did finally get to the boat this weekend and put the new chain and rope on. Works amazingly well, no problems at all.

Vinster
Guest Contributor
Try Miami Cordage 305 636-3000