cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launched this past week, everything...

Genny
Guest Contributor

Launched this past week, everything ran as it should. Plugged her in at the slip after a satisfying cruise breaking in her new 350 MPI Horizons.

After no more than 10 minutes running the AC ON dehumidifier mode, it kicked off flashing "P5" (or possibly, "PS"?)

Anyone know what that is indicating?

11 REPLIES 11

wingless
Rising Contributor
Is the AC raw water pump turned on? Seacock open? Water flowing freely out the hull side?

Genny
Guest Contributor
Great questions. I didn't know that the pump had a separate switch.....ill check all that tomorrow & let you know. Thanks!

PJS
Guest Contributor
Do you have a manual for boat/A/C system? It will indicate what the code fault codes are. More than likely it has to do with overheating. Which indicates a water flow restriction.
Can you run the A/C on another mode? If so, what does the exiting water flow look like? Meaning, a good consistent flow or a small /no flow.
It could be a clogged intake or sea strainer restriction.

SamFisher
Guest Contributor
That happened with my 2015 350 SD..it was the strainer…close seacock ..clean strainer and replace…I do this every six weeks.

Cea_Lyn
Guest Contributor
I have my A/C on shore power when ever i am at the dock. I was cleaning the strainer each month. in speaking with other boat owners in the marina many of them use a bromide tablet in their strainer it last a month or so here in SWFL. The strainer is always clean when I add another tablet. The tablets can be found at your local pool supply store. Cheap way to keep alge out of the system.

Genny
Guest Contributor
I found the fitting (plastic 3/4NPT X 3/4 barbed) on inlet side of the pump, broken right off.
Re-powered last winter so....someone broke it, closed the sea-cock, [THANK GOD], and proceeded to forget about it. I replaced it with brass, & a new hose, easy fix but what a disaster it could have been.
Moral of the story is always look at things below the waterline before, and while launching!

wingless
Rising Contributor
Good catch. Makes sense to the reported symptoms.

Note that brass is 100% not appropriate for the material on this fitting.

Is brass was used, then replace that part w/ bronze or with Marelon.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The factory used Marelon on the pump inlet on my 2000 380DA.

Genny
Guest Contributor
Wow....i had no clue about the dezincification. I did replace the broken plastic one with brass. What should I have used? How much time do I have before the brass gets dangerous?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Don't know how long. I don't think it is like an egg timer.

IMO, don't leave it w/ seacock open. Swap it out.

If ever a problem the insurance company forensics will work to find a reason to point the blame / responsibility elsewhere.

The raw water pump on my 2000 380DA A/C has a plastic body for the pump part and the factory used a Marelon fitting on the inlet. Either use Marelon or bronze, not brass.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Also, hose should be appropriate for below waterline, w/ internal wire and should be double clamped.

My preference is screw facing opposite directions on opposite sides of hose.