cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1997 Sundancer 40

GypsyJon
Guest Contributor

I am looking at a 1997 40 foot Sundancer and an trying to find the answer to two questions:

1. How much wood is in this boat?

2. How do you access the engines to check the oil etc?

TIA

GypsyJon

3 REPLIES 3

wingless
Rising Contributor

Welcome to the forum.

The boat will have wood at various locations throughout the boat. Most of the wood will be constructed, such as plywood lamination, other wood will be natural.

All wood will be protected, such as by lamination w/ fiberglass / resin, or coated w/ epoxy, or covered w/ simulated plastic wood, like a Formica. The only exception of which I'm aware is the bare plywood covered w/ glued padded fabric, for the salon and staterooms headliner. My speculation is that the laminated engine stringers are made from natural wood. If like my boat, all the cockpit seat cushions are constructed on epoxy coated plywood.

If that hull is like mine, then it will have cored regions, w/ fiberglass interior / exterior / embedded, separated by an engineered expanded core material. On my 2000 380DA those cored regions are obvious when examining the engine room interior, looking at the changes in the surface contours.

This linked image, on a '97 400DA shows that the engine has acceptable access, including for stuff like checking the oil.

GypsyJon
Guest Contributor

Thank you so much. 

Can you please tell me where the engine access hatch is? For example, is it in the salon floor, back deck etc. I am aware that this boat has V-drives so my guess is that the hatch is somewhere on the back deck.

Thanks again!!

wingless
Rising Contributor

YW

On the Sundancer boats, the aft cockpit section floor raises up, hinged at the rear, using a power lead screw lift w/ an up/down helm switch.