cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 Sundancer 320 Mercury 250 Starting Issue

william_barring
Guest Contributor

Waiting on a call back from dealer for a week now...Not happy camper.

Looking for suggestion on trouble shooting starting Issue, 2020 Mercury 250. 

Starboard engine will not start. The Center and Port engines start fine.

I turn the Key on for the starboard engine and get the normal beep.

Push the start button nothing happens, does not click, turn over, beep or nothing. 

Checked the fuse at the helm, it is ok.

Battery readout on all three engines is over 13 volts.

Thanks in advance. 

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gary2
Guest Contributor
I have the same boat and motors. We have replaced the starter on the center engine 4 times in 3 years. They cannot find the root cause.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

gregk
Guest Contributor
Could be the neutral safety switch. Try moving around the gear shifter for that engine to see if it starts.

gary2
Guest Contributor
I have the same boat and motors. We have replaced the starter on the center engine 4 times in 3 years. They cannot find the root cause.

Bradeyedoc
Guest Contributor
Sorry about your issues. My 2019 Sundancer 320 with trip merc 250s has been at dealer for literally 5 months. Terrible service...Lost steering in one engine and then all 3. Dealer could not find problem for months. Finally Merc factory thinks is center steering actuator causing all 3 engines to lose steering. Now fighting g dealer who is trying to charge. Me for warranty work as they have tons of hours in to it trying to find issue. I am so frustrated I may sell the boat. Sorry to go off, but SeaRay and Merc have been disappointing. Mostly the dealers fault though

william_barring
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the responses. Finally was able to do a phone call with a Tech, walked me through some simple items to check.

- Fuse on the starter batter
- Loose plug on starter button
- Fuse on engine, pulled and checked each fuse

All found to be working.

FINAL SUGGGESTION

STARTER FAILURE.

Going in for replacement Friday.

AND OF COURSE, after I hung up with the Tech, I tried to start the motor and it started. Go figure.

Paulswagelock
Guest Contributor
There is a known issue with the starter solenoid corroding internally. It occurs on boats where the motor is stored vertically more often than tilted. It also occurs more on boats that sit for extended periods. It is a $100 part and 30 minutes to fix.

Paulswagelock
Guest Contributor
More information

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/1177732-2020-verado-v8-300-no-crank-issue.html