cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any idea of the range of a 2006...

Andy
Guest Contributor

Any idea of the range of a 2006 280? I used to take scientists out to the Farallone Islands, about 28 nm from the Golden Gate Bridge (in a sailboat). Would a 60 nm or so trip be possible? I will try out the 25 nm trip to Halfmoon Bay to try out (there's gas at Halfmoon Bay--there's no gas for sale on the Farallones), but any advice or know-how would be appreciated. Andy

6 REPLIES 6

Capt__Paul
Guest Contributor
The fuel hold on that boat is 100Gal, which really cuts into the range. As an estimate, this is a 100 Mile boat. Wind, wave, current will play a big factor into your planning range. A 60 NM trip seems do-able though. I found the Smart Craft fuel usage to be very accurate and a useful tool.

Andy
Guest Contributor
Thanks, Capt. Paul! I will have to study the Smart Craft tool.

Acon
Guest Contributor
I have 138gal on my heavy, wide 290(32'loa10'3" beam) and with twin 357 carved alpha's I go over 100nm without fuel a couple times a year. Once, in bad seas, I cut it real close and fill up at destination was 130gallons. Take a 5gallon Jerry can or 2 with you the first time for security but I wouldn't think twice about a 60no trip in a modern, lightweight, narrow(8'6" beam) 280. My old dock neighbor used to do 80nm round trips to do whale watch trips in his 280 with twin 5.0 bravo III's

Andy
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the tips. I must be doing something wrong, because I'm only able to go about 50 miles using 80 gals!

Ron
Guest Contributor
I know it can vary quite a bit based on the power package you have, but when Boat Test did a review of the '02 Sundancer 280 they had best cruise efficiency at 3500RPM, about 33mph, and were getting 1.7 MPG. They estimate the usable range for the boat at around 140 miles, and their setup was twin 5.0 Mercruisers into Bravo III's. Obviously travelling a higher speed may increase your burn rate, so the Smartcraft info can be helpful in finding the most efficient cruise speed for your boat the way it's loaded and configured.

Andy
Guest Contributor
Thanks, Ron. Something else you can get better mileage going fast. Unfortunately, out the Golden Gate, the swells are often too close together to go so fast, I found!