cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody know what type of...

Andiamo_III
Guest Contributor

Does anybody know what type of clear finish was used on the Wood steps in the cabin on a 2005-390 Sundancer as I need to refinish them and want to use the original type for proper compatibility?

9 REPLIES 9

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
Probably some type of varnish. I prefer Petit Captains Spar varnish and wood sealer. It has beautiful coloring and is easy to work with.

Andiamo_III
Guest Contributor
Thank you

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor
It’s a polyurethane, I refinished mine two years ago using a satin finish with a non skid top coating. I masked off the top so only the teak & holly got the non skid. It came out better looking than factory and non skid is perfect because it was sprayed on.

Andiamo_III
Guest Contributor
Thank you, I was planning on a floor grade satin waterborne polyurethane

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor
Don't use a water based product unless you completely strip and remove all of the prior finish. Use a good urethane with a satin finish, it'll come out like new. Clean the old finish and lightly sand with fine grit first. If you want to add non-skid, check out the online store "slip doctor". Mask off the outer teak so only the teak & holly gets the non-skid. Apply 3 even coats. I got a perfect non-skid step, can't tell its non-skid and now nobody has slipped going down to the salon since applying the stuff.

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor
Also, the water base stuff will not last and you'll be doing the job again and again.

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor

By_Chance
Guest Contributor
Looks great Tom !!

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor
Thanks!