cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have experience changing...

2jacksdig
Guest Contributor

Does anyone have experience changing out the shore power inlet on a Sundancer 280? 3 am the shore power shorted out and is melted to the shore power chord. The Electric lines are too short to pull out to replace. I know its a fantastic $50 part so I don't want this to turn into something much more expensive. Ugh! NO power to the boat!

7 REPLIES 7

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

There must be sufficient access for replacement, because that same access had to exist during construction.

There is either a nearby panel or sufficient slack somewhere.

https://images.boattrader.com/resize/1/7/72/290772_20210325193716821_48_LARGE.jpg

2jacksdig
Guest Contributor
When its disconnected there does not seem to be any slack and all. Thinking of checking to see if wires are in a harness to loosen. No even sure how we will detach the melted inlet from the power chord. Thank you so much for your comments

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor
You should be able to find some slack after cutting the wire ties, however, it would be a good idea to check the wire condition from the shore power connection to the main panel. The cause of the meltdown was probably resistance at the plug and the wires may be burned beyond the receptacle. Might be a good idea to consult an electrician at this point.

Jet_Rooster
Guest Contributor
Pics?? Are you saying the connector at the end of the cord is melted into the shore power pedestal receptacle??

2jacksdig
Guest Contributor
yes the shore power chord was melted to the inlet on the boat. But It is now fixed. Wires were fried and had been damaged which likely caused the arc.... replaced wires and gave the whole panel had to come off which allowed more slack.

2jacksdig
Guest Contributor
Bow Tie ...you were spot on correct. thanks.

Bow_Tie
Guest Contributor
Glad I could help.