cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Due to shore power cord issues,...

DCHuynh
Guest Contributor

Due to shore power cord issues, we believe it took out my Charger and subsequently my house batteries.I have replace batteries and charger on a 2008 Amberjack, now my vaccuflush pump only will work when plugged in, but the discharge pump will work anytime. Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

Shore power and power cords need to be maintained / replaced for proper safety.

Please confirm, both the AC/DC battery charger and the batteries have been replaced? Now, after replacing the charger and batteries the Vacuflush only works while shore power connected, but the discharge pump also works on battery?

If all that is correct, then how does the battery voltage measure for the bank supplying the Vacuflush, during attempted operation of that pump, when there is a problem? Make sure the bank switch is held in the correct position for that measurement.

DCHuynh
Guest Contributor
Thanks for your reply wingless. Shore power off, at the pump it measures 12.5 volts, starting the engine it jumps to13.2+- and it still doesn't run. Turn on shore power, it runs. Mind boggling. Somewhere in the helm is an alarm/relay I believe, would like to find that and check out its condition.
Thanks

wingless
Rising Contributor
There are multiple electrical connections at the holding tank. Two of those wires are for the pump. If the pump is good, then it will run once it has 12V across the pump terminals.

https://images0.boattrader.com/resize/1/16/58/6821658_20180828114954441_1_LARGE.jpg?t=1300365

The shore power provides power to the AC/DC charger, through the AC converter circuit breaker.

https://images0.boattrader.com/resize/1/16/58/6821658_20180828114950428_1_LARGE.jpg?t=1300365

Almost everything on the boat runs from DC battery voltage. If a DC device only runs when shore power exists, then one of the AC/DC battery charger outputs is connected as a supply to a system, like the Vacuflush pump. Many chargers have three independent outputs.

DCHuynh
Guest Contributor
Traced it back to a grounding issue, all is good!

wingless
Rising Contributor
Excellent!

Note that all those connections must be clean and tight.

My Mercruiser FSM specifies liquid electrical tape on the exposed terminals, so I have a beautiful brushed-on coating underneath the rubber boots that protects those connections.