cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a few questions re ELECTRICAL...

Den
Guest Contributor

Have a few questions re ELECTRICAL matters on my newly acquired 2001 Sea Ray 280 Sun Sport and need some help & Advice.

Question #1: What is the function of the AC Converter Switch on my main AC Panel? Should this be on all the time when the boat is on shore power. It seems that the on-board battery charger does not work if that switch is not in the on position. Also it appears that this switch must be on for the CO Detector to work. Picture(s) attached.

Question #2: My CO detector alarm was going off and was disconnected. If the AC Converter switch is off it continues to show an alarm state. Do CO detectors fail or is there something I can do to prevent these “false” and annoying alarms…..maintenance etc or does it need to be replaced?

Question #3: Should I have my battery charger on all the time when on shore power? Does it matter if the battery switch is on Both or 1 or 2?

Question #4: Should I turn off the AC Power at the main panel before trying to start the engine?

Thank You…Dennis (Buffalo, NY)

3 REPLIES 3

wingless
Rising Contributor
The AC converter is the built-in battery charger, powered when on shore power or generator power.

It should always be on, so it operates whenever AC power is available.

The DC powered carbon monoxide detector on my boat complains whenever the battery voltage is abnormally low.

At some point / interval the DC-powered CO detector becomes ineffective and should be replaced. Check w the CO manufacturer for the replacement interval.

The AC converter should remain on, even when starting.

The AC converter is wired to charge all battery banks regardless of the battery selector switch position.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The AC power does not NEED to be on when starting the engines but is okay to be on when starting.

Remember to unplug before casting off.

Den
Guest Contributor
Thank you so much for responding and providing some guidance...much appreciated. Den