cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a stupid idea. Want to replace...

Marc_S
Guest Contributor

Have a stupid idea. Want to replace all my gauges etc with a touch screen. Any ideas on what that would cost?

10 REPLIES 10

jr_schantz
Guest Contributor
It probably depends on what you have to begin with. I am installing Fox Marine Gateways that will transmit all engine data to my Garmin displays. The hardware to get from the engines to the display was about $700.

Paulswagelock
Guest Contributor
Figure $2000 for a reasonable screen, cables, etc. then and dash modifications and labor.

MPLSSteve
Guest Contributor
Sorry to direct away from this valuable site - I like the information available here. But, I think your question would be better served at clubsearay.com. There is a wealth of knowledge there, and you can easily search the archives for information. You'll find a ton of info there about this type of project.

Marc_S
Guest Contributor
Thanks everyone. I’ll check out the other site too.

Slow_Ride
Guest Contributor
It depends on how old your boat is, what you are trying to see, what you have now, and what you mean by touchscreen panel. If you are talking about just tying engines into a single chart plotter using an existing J1939 link and a small older chart plotter (and you have a single J1939 link vs. one for each engine), 2K is the minimum unless your chart plotter already has that capability. On my 560, there were 4 analog gauges with the dreaded Keysor Medalion interface. The cost of just the panel for each gauge to a touch screen was about $500 each. I used primarily Garmin panels, but also used Ray Marine and looked at Simrad and Maretron- all were roughly the same cost. My 2002 CAT 7406E engines are J1939 compatible, but I had to have the ECM's re-flashed with the latest software to be able to tie into the J1939 link at the customer connection block. Then there were the necessary converters based on what you want to see - rudder position, fuel tanks, etc.

Slow_Ride
Guest Contributor

Marc_S
Guest Contributor
Slow Ride - I clearly need to do a lot more research! Thanks for the pointers!

Slow_Ride
Guest Contributor
I’m happy to send you what my boat required, or do a budget for your bot and a mock up of what a solution would like. All I would need is your boat year, model, and engines, and a picture of your dash. I did a mock-up of mine with photoshop before i did it and the final outcome matched very closely.

Jim Huber, CEM, CMVP, CDSM, CCP, NEBB
Complete Commissioning, Inc.
185 Truman Pkwy, #104
Annapolis, MD 21401
Direct: (443) 221-7038
Mobile: (301) 741-7028
Office: (443) 221-7020

jlkingiii1_5374
Guest Contributor
I am less than $4k into my conversion with 2 9" simrad screens and all the mercury wiring and connections. I would also be happy to help you get going in the right direction to complete your project.

jlkingiii1_5374
Guest Contributor
I started with this and had to cut everything up and reconfigure the helm, fiberglass and paint it to look good to me.