cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello all. I have a 1997 Sundancer ...

Kil
Guest Contributor

Hello all. I have a 1997 Sundancer  40DA . I have an anchoring question. The boat has no cleat in the windlass chute to tie off the rope part of the rode (to unload the windlass while anchored)--only 2 bow cleats on either side of the bow. A bridle would seem to take care of the problem, but bridles seem to attach only to chain rodes and I only have 30 feet of chain. So how would you attach a bridle to the rope portion of a rode ? I've seen elaborate knots etc., but I'm wondering if there is a quicker, easier way. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5

wingless
Rising Contributor
Here is the bow on a 1998 Sundancer 400, also no center cleat.

Why not just properly attach a matching center cleat, through bolted into the anchor locker w/ internal thick backing plates?

The factory installed a center cleat on my 2000 380DA that I always use when anchoring for more than a quick stop.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Here is the center cleat the factory installed on my 2000 380DA.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48318840442_0f27f22678_b.jpg[/img]

jr_schantz
Guest Contributor
Wingless...I'd be interested in the install. Please repost the photo.

Jayhawk
Guest Contributor
Another option would be to go to an all chain rode and use a two line snubber off the port and starboard cleats. That would be my preferred solution.

wingless
Rising Contributor
My boat was built w/ the optional 200' of 5/16" chain rode.

That chain rode silently knocked free some of the poorly-attached chain locker gel coat, blocking the weep holes, causing rust.

When I removed that 200' of chain rode to fix the problem, it filled two 5 gallon buckets. It takes all my effort to inch one bucket along when carrying it to a different location.

That 200' of chain is LOTS of mass, exactly in the worst boat location.

Yes, I also loved the way an all-chain rode worked, but now my entire rope / chain rode can be carried w/o difficulty. The boat handling and performance is significantly / noticeably improved w/o the all-chain rode.

Regardless of all-chain or rope / chain, a center cleat, standard on the later boats, is very useful to secure the rode. I used a line w/ hook on my all-chain and attach the rode directly on my rope / chain rode.

This topic shows my anchor locker repair and my new custom slatted floor. Now my elevated rode will always air dry and my weep holes won't clog.

http://forum.toolsinaction.com/topic/14802-wingless-anchor-locker-shelf/