cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello Group...first time commenter...

Lorenzo_0624
Guest Contributor

Hello Group...

first time commenter here. Need some advise.

I have a 1996 Searay 440 Express Bridge. I just develop an electrical problem where the power (lighting) is out in the two staterooms including both bathrooms and the floor lighting in the main cabin. The Main breaker panel is all good, engine room fuse panel is all good. Check all the gfi switches - all good.  Down to calling a marine electrician unless someone out here has an idea?  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance. 

~ Lorenzo

7 REPLIES 7

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

The Tech Resources does not list the 1996 440 Express Bridge Owner's Manual, that includes the schematic. It does have that manual listed for 1997.

https://bbg1.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#E0000000Z21E/a/E00000000UDa/fAuTzIq5pQMVfPGWDGzg8dn4u0AU.zpJS7Jom93PXxQ

On page 22 it shows all the lighting is DC, not AC, so GFCI is not applicable.

There are 20A DC breakers for the Forward and the Aft Cabin Lights.

The power then goes to barrier strip locations and to switches.

It would be a good first step to follow the DC power w/ a multimeter to locate the problem.

fwebster
Guest Contributor
This may be a rech because they almost never fail, but the switches on the main distribution panel are really switch duty breakers. A faulty breaker may feel like it makes contact when you switch it on, but it may not be conducting current. To test, you will need to remove the panel screws, swing the panel out then check the voltage on the input and output sides of the light breaker.

Lorenzo_0624
Guest Contributor
Thank you both. Great ideas. I appreciate it and will comment back with results.

SMT
Guest Contributor
I had this happen to my 450. It turned out to be a shorted connector behind the DC fuse panel. Cut it out and replace.

RAYMOND1
Guest Contributor
James Darryl Lewis
Product Support
[email protected]

SMT
Guest Contributor
It is a blue wire pull the harness unil you see the burnt connector.

Lorenzo_0624
Guest Contributor
Great stuff. Thanks.