cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi all, I have a 2004 260 with...

Captain_Steve_2
Guest Contributor

Hi all,

I have a 2004 260 with an Automatic Sea Fire FH 150M HALON fire extinguisher in the engine compartment. 

2 Questions:

-I am told Halon cannot be refilled and a replacement is $850 for a 5lb cylinder. Has anyone found anything that is less expensive?

-I was told that if a fire extinguisher has not been certified within the last 12 years, it is out of compliance. Can anyone confirm this?

thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Capt__Pete
Guest Contributor
I had my 2003 system certified last year. I don’t remember what it cost but it wasn’t all that much.

Captain_Steve_2
Guest Contributor
I wish I could do that. Somehow, mine is completely discharged. Olson, I see now that extinguishers have to be certified (and operable/full) within the last 12 years or they don’t count as safety equipment.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Why not just get a replacement?

Halon is done.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/product/product-detail/13033

Captain_Steve_2
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, they are out of stock. I went to Www.GreatLakesSkipper.com and they were in stock and cheaper.

Sparks1
Guest Contributor
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the 12 year replacement rule does not apply to the automatic fire suppression in the bilge. Just to the portable extinguishers kept on the deck / cabin areas.

PatH
Guest Contributor
So much mis-information about fire systems, extinguishers and maintenance please go and check the CG sites directly.

HALON is still available from recovery and is still allowed for refilling. The manufacture of HALON and new HALON filled systems is no longer legal.

The 12 year service life relates ONLY to portable extinguishers. The date of manufacture is stamped on the bottom of the cylinder.

Fixed systems are not affected by the recent CG rule changes.

That said, IF you want your fixed system to count toward your legal requirements it must be "serviceable" and that means it must have been inspected within the last 12 months, tagged and still in good condition at the time of any CG inspection.

Real world:
I carry much more than the legal minimum for my vessel in portables so I do not require professional inspection of my fixed system. I have two HALON fire bottles in my engine room, I visually inspect them for damage or corrosion and weigh them annually. That is all they need.

Halon is a completely moisture free and non-corrosive element. It will not cause and will in fact prevent internal cylinder corrosion. Thus NFPA and DOT rules state that only an external inspection is required as long as the cylinder remains charged.

If the cylinder is empty or low, before refilling it MUST be hydro-statically tested if over 12 years from manufacture or last hydro.

This becomes a cost comparison you can usually get the Halon cylinder tested and refilled for for much less then new replacement.