cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi and greetings from Glasgow,...

Adieu
Guest Contributor

Hi and greetings from Glasgow, Scotland.  Anyone else got a bowrider on the Med ? I bought an 21 SPX in Palamos last summer and after 5 weeks of cautious inshore boating I'm wishing I had got a deep Vee Cap Camarat for seaworthiness peace of mind. These Janneau French manufactured craft and similar (e.g. Quicksilver Actives) are speeding past me in comfort as I struggle not to slam in modest chop. Maybe a planing hull is just unsuitable for waves over about 6 inches. My tactic is to try to quarter the head waves, whilst slowing down, barely above 10mph or we slam, trim up to keep the blue stuff out, and if really worried, put front cover on. I'm not talking Captains Courageous here - real sailors would laugh at my troubles in modest waves  I'm sure but with family on board, caution is the watchword. With a 250HP engine it feels like I bought a Ferrari 308 GT just to trim  the front lawn. Forget planing under most sea conditions. Am I missing something ? 

BTW - when we arrive at a pretty little cove and drop anchor, having felt to ensure that our fillings are still in our teeth,  the spacious seating, comfort  and practicality of the swim platform leaves me feeling smug when I look at the less comfort orientated twin console and other more seaworthy boats. The smug smile disappears of course as soon as thoughts of the return journey swim in to focus. These boats in Europe are made in Poland. The speedo does not move under 15mph. Is this normal ? 

Incidentally my UK instructor would blanch at the Spanish boating protocols - nobody over 3 yrs wears a life vest, if at anchor you can't touch your neighbour's boat  with a cocktail stick you are too far away, and scope/depth longer that 1:2  is a waste of rope, pass on either side and it's fun to keep the oncoming boat guessing until the last moment. That said, they did discover  America so they can't all be bad sailors ! 

0 REPLIES 0