cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have  a 1997 400 Sundancer. Three...

Giangi
Guest Contributor

I have  a 1997 400 Sundancer. Three weeks ago I stopped to fill the tanks and the ignorant gave me the gas hose instead of the Diesel one. (they are the same). I was lucky that I noticed after I put 3 gallons. I call my mechanic immediately and he told me not to fill the tank with Diesel and try to use that tank until close to empty.

The boat is running perfect under 1500 RPM but at higher rpm has no power..

The question is shall I keep using that tank until almost empty or shall I fill it up with Diesel?

I will appreciate your comments. Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

lyleski
Guest Contributor
My recollection is when I had a diesel car I asked what to do if this happened. They said to have the car towed in and get the gasoline pumped out, not to drive it.

Giangi
Guest Contributor
Thank you Lyleski

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
I’m a mechanic get the tank emptied it will damage the fuel injectors don’t forget that diesel is a lubricant for the engine . Also remember fuel will not be combustible in a Diesel engine
Your mechanic is right about not filling it up you would have wasted all that money
But he should have told u not to use the boat an haves it pumped dry because u could to damage to components in the system

Good luck

Giangi
Guest Contributor
Thank you for your recommendation Big Mike, unfortunately I red your answer too late. The tank is full now and just hope nothing is damaged. I already use the boat 3 weekends and it is running Ok. Thank you again

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
If used it and no problems you lucked out had to be a very small amount of fuel you will be fine now if any got damaged it would have shown up by now have a great summer!!

Giangi
Guest Contributor
Thanks again! You lift my morale!!

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
You are incredibly lucky the top side of the engine didn’t explode....go buy a lottery ticket