cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 1998 310 Sundancer.  The...

Summer_Time
Guest Contributor

I have a 1998 310 Sundancer.  The port engine runs great at idle and up to 2000 RPM;s The minute I push the throttle above 2000 RPM's the engine dies.  She starts immediately and runs great again at idle speeds.  I have replace the Carburetor, fuel pump and fuel filter is clean.  Any suggestions?

thanks Gary

9 REPLIES 9

wingless
Rising Contributor
It sure sounds like the high speed carburetor jet isn't working.

As a last ditch effort, one thing I find very handy w/ two identical engines is the ability to swap suspect parts to see if the problem follows the part. Swapping the carburetor would permit verification of a carb fault.

Summer_Time
Guest Contributor
Thanks, that is a great idea. I did not think of that. I will try.

Gill1
Guest Contributor
You have throttle body injection not carbs. Need to get rebuild kit or parts, about $40.00

DB_and_JP
Guest Contributor
Have you changed the coil?

Dogfaceboy
Guest Contributor
What engines are u running? I have a 2000 340 with 2 merc 7.1 I changed fuel cooler after similar issues and perfect since. The difference i found was that I would run fine sometimes we would sit then it wouldnt start. After some time it would also not rev above 2500 and would die.

Summer_Time
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the info. I am running two 5.7 merc’s with 2 barrel carbs I will check to see if I have fueler coolers.

Summer_Time
Guest Contributor
Yes Changed Coil, distributor cap and spark plug wires.

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
Mercruiser had a problem with the fuel coolers paint peeing on inside call them I had that problem and they sent me for free

Summer_Time
Guest Contributor
Thanks to everyone for their comments and directions. After all was done my mechanic found a back flow check value at the head of the gas tank that was clogged and was not operating under pressure. He change the fuel line and modified the value setup and she is running like a champ.