cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i have a 2000 380 sundancer and...

waycoolcars
Guest Contributor

i have a 2000 380 sundancer and i am having generator problems it was working fine last season

its a 7k westerbeke the motor starts and runs fine but almost no output [volts] it only moves the volt meter 1 line its like 5 volts

any help or sugestions would be great

7 REPLIES 7

wingless
Rising Contributor
Is this the Westerbeke 7.0 BCGB generator? That is a great generator. They have outstanding documentation, w/ diagnostic sections.

Are those documents on-hand? Have the steps been followed? What has been discovered?

More information is required.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The first pass through the documentation shows shorted stator, open stator and two shorted diodes as the next step to test.

wingless
Rising Contributor
If there is going to be lots of generator work, then removing the starboard side of the starboard exhaust, from above the manifold will provide much better access. If done, then jam a rag into the manifold exhaust port to prevent stuff from falling into the engine.

It is also helpful sometimes to unbolt the gen from the platform, then rest it on 2x4 boards to permit "easy" sliding around to gain better access.

If the electrical side has failed, then a rebuilt section is a cost-effective solution.

waycoolcars
Guest Contributor
thanks for the reply wingless
do you have a copy of the documents and the steps to follow to diagnose my generator

wingless
Rising Contributor
Yes, I have both the PDF and the hard copy versions of all the documents.

The 7.0 BCGB Westerbeke documents are at this link.

http://www.westerbeke.com/Category/7.0BCGB/5399ADA2DAF73A26740BF65E#techdocs

waycoolcars
Guest Contributor
thanks again for the info i will do some tests

SMT
Guest Contributor
Check to see if you accdently shut the breaker on the unit off. On the unit. On is normally up. If you check things out it is easy to accidentally bresh by them and turn them off.