cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2000 Open Bow 185. Can...

MagJag
Guest Contributor

I have a 2000 Open Bow 185. Can I use regular unleaded fuel or do I need to use ethanol free gas?

11 REPLIES 11

joefirm
Guest Contributor
You can use both but ethanol free gas is preferred. Ethanol when it sits in your system will start deteriorating your hoses and fuel system.

Annex24
Guest Contributor
Yes what joe said 👍

MikeHotelFoxtro
Guest Contributor
What I do and what some other boaters do here in the Seattle area is, during the height of the boating season, I use the automotive gasoline with 10% ethanol, but at the end of the season I fill up with ethanol free for the storage over the winter months. We have a few local gas stations that sell ethanol free gas so you dont necessarily have to pay higher Marina on-the-water prices.

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
I would also recommend using a fuel stabilizer like K100 or sta-bil in addition to the ethanol free gas during storage.

Vinster
Guest Contributor
It all depends on how long the fuel will sit unused. Rec Fuel does have higher octane than revular. Always use a additive with either fuel. Condensation forming on walls of your tank are higher when outside air temp is warmer than the fuel in your tank temp. This is why you should maintain a almost full tank in winter months.

wicked1
Guest Contributor
if you run it regularly, use regular , if it sits, use E free

Brian_E
Guest Contributor
Agree that using 10% ethanol is not an issue if your out every month. With that being said, if you have an outboard, ethanol free all of the time, if possible.

Roll_Tide_Roll
Guest Contributor
agree with all but if E free is available always choose it. Fuel treatment is a must during storage. your engine will love you for it.

tolatron
Guest Contributor
The best choice no matter is always ethanol free.

Drago
Rising Contributor
E free unless you want problems down the road.

Big_mike1
Guest Contributor
I’m a mechanic for 30 years yes u can use regular unleaded just add the blue additive for injectors