cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2008 Sundancer 330 with...

Josh1
Guest Contributor

I have a 2008 Sundancer 330 with a Kohler 5ecd generator. Recently, the generator came on by itself, while the boat was hooked up to shore power. The generator has a dedicated battery for starting.

Any ideas what could cause this?

3 REPLIES 3

fwebster
Guest Contributor
If your hull # is 1212 and down, you should have a single rocker switch in your panel for generator operation. On boats equipped this way, the generator control module is the problem. Short of replacing the module, all you can try is to depower the generator control system by unplugging the module from the generator harness, let it rest 5 minutes and them plug it back in.

If your hull # is 1213 and up, you should have a round Kohler gage on your ignition panel. It has sealed switches with mylar covering the contacts. The "start" switch on the Kohler control could be sticking.

Intermittent electrical problems like this are very difficult for the dealer to diagnose so you may want to watch it and see if the problem re0occurs and if so, how frequently. However, if the generator starter motor fails to disengage when the generator starts itself, you should get it repaired immediately.

Josh1
Guest Contributor
I have the round Kohler gauge on my panel. The issue isn't that the starter motor is sticking, the issue is that the generator turns on without anyone pressing the start button (no one is on the boat when this happens).

It just turns on by itself.

fwebster
Guest Contributor
The generator cannot "turn on" unless it is started. That is done by closing the starting circuit either at the panel where the Kohler control is or by the generator control module closing the start circuit.

Those are the 2 components that control the generator starting so one of them is faulty and is causing the generator to start on its own.