cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just purchased a 2003 Sundancer...

Son_of_Daniel
Guest Contributor

I just purchased a 2003 Sundancer 360.  The Systems Monitor readout is very difficult to read because of moisture under the glass.   Can this be repaired or do I need to replace it? Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

Good luck w/ your new boat.

The systems monitor is made from Unobtainium.

https://images.boattrader.com/resize/1/92/42/269242_20210804161320381_8_LARGE.jpg

The display is potted in epoxy and is impossible to repair.

It might be possible to dry out the rear of the glass. I have had luck using the internal illumination, covered w/ a loose towel, allowing days to elapse on different "sealed" glass instruments.

There are several aftermarket solutions that are superior to that system.

Capt-Mike
Guest Contributor
Not for the faint of heart *** Drill 2 small 1/16 inch holes in the back of the gauge. 1 on the back at the bottom at 7 O'clock and the other at the very top at 12 O'clock as close to the gasket as possible.

Gently purge the gauge with Nitrogen by spraying onto the bottom hole.

Go slow and and DO NOT FREEZE the gauge. The spray will purge the moisture out but will take a little time to prevent the gauge from getting too cold. Keep periodically spraying while NOT removing the tube.

SEAL the holes after. I sealed the holes in mine with hot glue.

PS, If you can get your hands on Nitrogen, use that but this works also

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Super-Spray-Aerosol/dp/B0047Y9DKS/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1MQ7OJLJBZMZ5&dchild=1&keywords=liquid+nitrogen+spray&qid=1630240042&s=industrial&sprefix=liquid+nitro%2Cindustrial%2C169&sr=1-4

~

User16280796182
Guest Contributor
www.gaugesaver.com

wingless
Rising Contributor
@Mike Comeau The OP inquiry is about the System Monitor, not a gauge.

My prior reply shows that System Monitor, behind the steering wheel, at the 10 o'clock position.

As was stated, the System Monitor is potted in epoxy, so the drilling (as for a gauge) is not applicable.

Capt-Mike
Guest Contributor
@wingless This is what we refer to as the System Monitor. They come in various flavors...

tlrlc
Guest Contributor
quickflipenterprise is a company that can replace displays AND plastic covers for gauges.

wingless
Rising Contributor
@Mike Comeau The linked image I provided in my initial reply is from the same model and year as the OP.

That System Monitor image you provided appears to be from a newer boat.

Capt-Mike
Guest Contributor
@wingless I can't find your original image but I have used the same procedure on dozens of marine and industrial gauges.

However it still works on the potted ones at the inside is hollow. I just drill from the sides in that style.

Capt-Mike
Guest Contributor
@wingless This image shows where the hollow or non-potted area is and safe for drilling.

wingless
Rising Contributor
@Mike Comeau This attached image was linked in my original reply, w/o the zoom or the highlight, for the same year and model boat as the OP.

This System Monitor is fully potted in epoxy.

Son_of_Daniel
Guest Contributor
Thank you both for your help. I have the Smart Craft system as well and will look for a replacement systems monitor. Again, thank you.

Capt-Mike
Guest Contributor
@wingless That one is easy, they all have airspace internally to provide cooling. If it was fully potted it would weigh 5 pounds.

We run a Reverse Engineering Lab and are hired to acquire and dismantle just about anything. We use a 3D RF imaging array, thermal imaging and just plain smashing and cutting open things to document...

wingless
Rising Contributor
@Mike Comeau The OP has both the previously listed unobtainium System Monitor and the Smart Craft system.

My personal experience is that the System Monitor is fully potted in a hard / strong / brittle epoxy, as shown in this image.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51414233480_866fcb97b3_c.jpg

Capt-Mike
Guest Contributor
@wingless My Tractor Mower had the same issue (fully potted) so I stuck it in the convection oven at 120 ℉ for 1 Hr. I'll have to obtain one of them and examine it. Always a way if there is enough need...

Mark_V
Guest Contributor
I suggest contacting GaugeSaver.com in Green Cove Springs Florida. They saved my 15 year old Smartcraft tach. Its as good as new again!

boatereng
Guest Contributor
I second Mark's V suggestion - GaugeSaver.com were great to restore my SmartCraft gauges for less than1/3 of the price of new set.