cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i’m picking up a 2022 to 280 SLX,...

Tucker
Guest Contributor

i’m picking up a 2022 to 280 SLX, was curious on trailers. I Previously had 260 Sundancer. I was curious if I’m better off with a triple axle. Plan on going traveling with the boat, Lake Tahoe

5 REPLIES 5

Steele_y_Tutz
Guest Contributor
There is a lot that goes into it. First is the weight. Some double axle trailers might be maxed out. Where a triple will have room for more weight. For me, the 300DA with trailer comes in at 12k lbs. The trailer is rated at 15k. So that leaves me with some wiggle room when loading all the stuff that everybody else "needs" to have.

My triple axle runs down the road great. As long as I'm not trying to take a corner fast. A hair pin type corner and she is scrubbing a little more than I like. And a street corner or pulling into a driveway and it's scrubbing the rear two axles the whole way. So tires will be heavily worn and need replaced more often.

Another thing, I have surge brakes. If you do go with a triple, get the electric over hydraulic. It's on the list of need to do but due to the cost to retrofit, it's low on the list.

And make sure you have the rig to tow it. Don't always rely on the info from the dealer. I seen an ad the other day that the new F150 can tow 10k with the new electric motor. I wouldn't tow that weight with a half ton. Just not that safe in the real world where traffic can get crazy. If in doubt, ask on a forums about real world experiences or friends and family.

Tucker
Guest Contributor
Thank you so much for the information it was very helpful.

Sent from Tony's iPhone

Paulswagelock
Guest Contributor
The Slx is approaching the edge of a 2 axle trailer capacity. You can get one though. If you really plan on a lot of towing, probably worth having the 3 axle.

Tucker
Guest Contributor
Thanks so much I’m going with a three axle. Thanks for your help

Steele_y_Tutz
Guest Contributor
A couple things to make sure you have. Make sure it has load range E tires. And make sure it has guides on it. Trying to get the guides later is a pain. I had to have them made. While not very expensive, it was just a hassle to find someone. Then to get the steel was a pain with the way things are going. As for tires. Mine came from the factory with Carlisle and after 12 years I replaced them. I'm not saying to go that long but if they can go 12 years then they should be good for 5 to 6 years.