cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help. I have a 2007 220...

Mattmeyerstx
Guest Contributor

I need help. I have a 2007 220 Sundeck. On Memorial Day I was pulling into my dock and the motor would not go out of gear. I had to shut off the motor to minimize the damage when I hit the back of the slip. Very little damage occurred externally. Because of the Central Texas freeze in February no one could even look at it before July. Finally the boat was evaluated and the shop could not get the drive disengaged. They send the stern drive to a shop in Houston to be serviced. They have not been able to get new bearings (or used ones). I was told it would cost approx $4-5k for the lower unit to be repaired. Now they tell me that they cannot get bearings before January and the cost will be $10k. They asked if I had insurance and to try and file a claim. Has anyone had a similar situation? I do not know if I am being taken advantage of or if that is an accurate price to repair the stern drive. Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

Mattmeyerstx
Guest Contributor
Follow up. Sorry. I left out that the boat would not get out of gear afterward.

Dano11
Guest Contributor
If your out drive is already torn down the bearings will have a four digit number (usually) stamped one the side of the outer race. Use this number to locate a non Mercury part at an industrial supply house. You may be out of luck because of supply chain problems or Mercury could use their own number system through an agreement with the bearing manufacturer. At this price I would consider a used outdrive. Good Luck.

Hugo
Guest Contributor
Look at SEI as a replacement for the Merc. I replaced my Alpha 1 sterndrive on a 2002 220 bowrider with an SEI for $2200.
Good luck.

Brite_Idea
Guest Contributor
The entire brand new drive complete is less than 8K so yes you're being taken to the cleaners.

BMK
Guest Contributor
Dana Point Shipyard is charging me $11k for my lower unit for 2004 260 Sundancer.

TWW
Guest Contributor
The people at Sterndrives [email protected] have been very helpful with my outdrive. Your repair estimates sound pretty high.

DWW
Guest Contributor
I am in an insurance claim process now. This definitely sounds like it could be a claim insurance will pay. Let them negotiate what they want to pay for the drive.

Mattmeyerstx
Guest Contributor
Thanks for all of the ideas. I did end up filing a claim and Markel (which is a great insurance company) paid $10k for a new outdrive! Now I am waiting for it to get put on. Thanks again!