cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to upgrade to a 270 or 280...

jvsrunner
Guest Contributor

I want to upgrade to a 270 or 280 Sundancer but I want to tow it and launch at a ramp most every weekend. Does anyone have pros and cons of trailering a boat that size? I know the beam is generally considered "wide load". Or should just get a 260?

Thanks, Jim, 2006 Weekender 225

22 REPLIES 22

MikeSR270
Guest Contributor
Hi Jim. I have a 270 and tow it with my GMC Sierra Denali. I keep mine at home since I have an RV space on the side of my house. Never had any trouble towing her at all. The biggest problem I have is needing at least 2 people to launch and recover, so it makes it difficult if you want to go out on a day run, but it does save the slip fees.

DBCLASSIC
Guest Contributor
I agree with Jim - I have a 260, pull it with my F250 diesel - assuming you have the right power, 260/270/280 won't be that big a deal - the challenge is the launch...so I do it by myself, but patience by others is key, else 2 people to make it flow is best.

TitanTn
Guest Contributor
Agree with the other guys. With the right truck and trailer this isn't a problem at all. I also have a GMC Sierra Denali and have towed a 300 Weekender. 30' long and 11' beam. Honestly, unloading is a breeze. No different than any other boat. Loading requires an assistance, because I lose sight of the truck and am not sure if I'm centered on the trailer or all the way up. We the right help, I can load the 30' faster than some guys are loading bass boats. Just tow a little slower and everything will be fine.

d9ever
Guest Contributor
I tow a 2000 340DA and launch with no problem. Boat and trailer weigh 18,000 with and 11'5" beam

jvsrunner
Guest Contributor
Thank you all for your experiences. I have a 2017 F250 diesel so have 14000 pounds of tow capacity. No one seems to have had any issues with the beam, ie getting pulled over for "wide load" violations. The ramp I generally use can accommodate 4 launches simultaneously so I believe there is plenty of room. I do launch with my wife 99.9% of the time. I back the rig down the ramp. She pulls the rig out after I launch. Does anyone have issues with ramp depth, skeg damage?

TitanTn
Guest Contributor
I've found that in my general area (southeast) no one cares about pulling over the weekend warrior. If you are commercial then it's a different story. I've actually gotten permits for longer trips and found they're difficult to obtain, and it feels like the people issue the permits are wondering why I'm even bothering. It does help to have a ramp at the right angle with enough water, but that can vary from place to place. I've never had any issues or concerns with it.

Frenchy
Guest Contributor
I would think about the road limits in your State, etc., up here in the Northeast the limit is 8' on many secondary roads and 8'6" on the highways. I guess it just depends on how often you could be stopped and fined (and how expensive). I have a 25' Sundancer I see no real big benefit to increase unless I move up to at least 28'.

d9ever
Guest Contributor
In the NW an oversize permit is required in WA and ID. It is $43/yr in ID and $10/mth in WA. It allows up to 12ft with no pilot car on a 4 lane in WA and on a 2 lane in ID. Small price to pay. Just hang the oversize banner front and rear.

Hugo
Guest Contributor
Seems to me that the challenge isn't so much towing and launching, but the expense of the vehicle to pull your boat around. If you use it every weekend, have you thought about getting a slip? What a pleasure to get to the lake, take the covers off, pray that it starts and turn the key. I have a slip and tow a SR 220 with a towing weight of just 6,000 lbs all-in. I used to tow it to the lake - 20 minutes door to ramp. Found that we use the boat much more often and getting much more enjoyment.
Good boating!

MrB18
Guest Contributor
Hello, I had a 1999 260 and was a nice boat but remember the newer 260's are really the older 240 so you may want to consider the 280 and still be at the 8'6" width

jvsrunner
Guest Contributor
My tow vehicle is an F250 turbo diesel so I have the power. I thought about 260's to stay at an 8'6" beam but many dont have a generator and 4 feet is not much of an upgrade. Thought about slips but have ruled that out for many reasons. Thansk to all who have made a comment.

Islamoradamoon
Guest Contributor
I have trailered a 2008 280 for over 10 years now in FL. The DOT is not too concerned with the overwidth boats in FL since there are so many of them. I had a 260 for years before this boat. I tow with a F250 diesel 4x4 and there is not a big issue towing unless you are in a state that is picky with the overwidth boats. Biggest concern is having 4 wheel drive to get up some of the ramps which can get very tricky without those front wheels helping pull. I have saved a ton of dock fee money not to mention the maintenance issues associated with the boat being in the water. Of course, the tradeoff is the boat is not as available to use when you have to trailer it to a ramp. Also, although launching and retrieving the boat alone can be done, it is a whole lot easier if there is another person to assist with this size boat.

jvsrunner
Guest Contributor
My F250 is a 4x4, so perfect advise and confidence booster. Now if I can only convince my girlfriend, who has to pull it out of the ramp and park it!! Anyone care to advise on that one? haha

Islamoradamoon
Guest Contributor
Only time my wife is behind the wheel with the trailer attached is when I need the trailer backed in a little deeper to get the boat onto the bunks. I would be very hesitant beyond that...

jvsrunner
Guest Contributor
I hear you but it would not be right to "hold" a ramp space while I tie up the boat at the dock, then run back to haul the empty trailer out of the water.

Soldthefarm
Guest Contributor
In 30 years of boating my wife isn't allowed to be behind the wheel of the truck. I take my chances on her at the helm.
Nothing major had happened YET, just some close calka

trush
Guest Contributor
We have a slipped boat now, but back in the day when we had trailer boats, my wife was a pro at backing the boat down, putting it to the perfect depth and launching or retrieving. With me in the boat, we could pull this off within a minute or so.

The key to getting her there, was patience and practice on non-weekends. We'd practice with me standing outside of the truck and only offering advice, if she asked for it. It used to make me sick seeing the guys that would yell and scream at their wife's/girlfriends. What a great way to turn someone off of boating.

Soldthefarm
Guest Contributor
Thrush you are so right. We picked up some friends at the launch area this weekend. I'd be surprised if some wives didn't shoot their husbands after what we witnessed

Tracal
Guest Contributor
In 36 years of boating we still prefer the boat in the slip. We recently had a Mako pro 16 fishing boat in which we towed back and forth every weekend, when we looked at the loged time of travel, eccess gas for towing and the time of putting the boat in and out of the water, we got a slip. You spend more time of prep than on the water. In our state of NV you play moutain goat every weekend drive. Down side..., seeing bigger boats at the mariner...we purchased a 1993 300 Sundancer 2 months ago
Happy Boating!

d9ever
Guest Contributor
I tow a 340 Sundancer to Anacortes, WA from Spokane once a year/ wide load and all with no problem

jvsrunner
Guest Contributor
Thanks to all for the great replies. I put her in a hi and dri short term (the boat, not the girlfriend) Still looking for that perfect 280 to upgrade to.

Drago
Rising Contributor
I have my 290 AJ sitting on a custom made trailer. I only use it to drag the boat ho,e in the off season. You ask is it trailerable, answer is yes but.... Get a slip