cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macerator!!! Anyone ever installed...

alancoup
Guest Contributor

Macerator!!!

Anyone ever installed a macerator in a 99 270 Sundancer, or any boat for that matter. Wanting to add one.

5 REPLIES 5

wingless
Rising Contributor
Assuming the holding tank already has a spare fitting, it should be possible to wire / plumb a discharge pump to an oversized seacock. Ensure that the cutoff switch is plumbed to the seacock lever, to disable the pump unless the valve is open.

Use a mushroom fitting on the hull exterior and glass-in a structural reinforcement for the seacock.

Don't forget to close the seacock and either lock the lever or remove the lever, except when regulations permit discharging.

https://www.environmentalmarine.com/products/t-series-discharge-pumps-12-volt-301200.html

wingless
Rising Contributor
Here is a dip tube w/ the fitting that may be added to a tank w/o one. There are other options available.

https://www.environmentalmarine.com/products/holding-tank-universal-diptube-kit-310660.html

fwebster
Guest Contributor
You are headed in the right direction with a macerator pump. I would not install a waste pump on a smaller boat like the 270DA. The macerator chops/grinds the waste to a bout 1/8" particle size where it can be expelled thru a 1" or less discharge tube; a waste pump just pumps what is in the tank out and requires about a 1-1/2" discharge hose. Plumbing is much easier with a 1" hose than with a 1-1/2" one. Assuming you have a factory installed holding tank, you just need to install a lockable "Y" valve in your waste discharge line, route one side to the dockside waste pump out and the other to the macerator, then run a 1" discharge line from the macerator to the waste thru hull. I have seen macerators installed to discharge above the waterline which avoids cutting the hull bottom and installing a seacock.

The disadvantages of a macerator are they are loud, they will not tolerate any stringy waste (paper products with cloth strings in them, they will eventually have to be disassembled and cleaned. Because of this, you will want to install the macerator very close to the "Y" valve or add a 1-1/2" ball valve right before the macerator and a 1" ball valve right after it so you can close both valves and remove the macerator from the boat to take it apart and clean it.

Be sure you read up on the Federal, State and local laws concerning direct overboard discharge before spending the money for a macerator and plumbing.

DCHuynh
Guest Contributor
In a 260 chaparral I put a T in the lowest part of the pump out discharge line, w/a shutoff valve, between the macerator and T, installed a new thru hull. wasn't very difficult. Good luck!

DCHuynh
Guest Contributor
To clarify, the discharge line I was referring to was from the holding tank, assuming you have one.