cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with removal of the headliner...

Jeanne
Guest Contributor

Need help with removal of the headliner for access to the windshield wiper motor. Our boat is a 2013 510 Sundancer, 

Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

wingless
Rising Contributor
My 2000 380DA has push-in / pull-out plugs covering the wiper motors.

If that doesn't exist on your yacht, then the headliner on mine is probably retained in similar fashion to that on yours.

On my boat, the headliner fabric is attached to a plywood panel. That plywood is screwed at perimeter locations to the ceiling.

The screws are concealed by the padded upholstery fabric. On almost the entire surface the fabric is glued to the plywood. At the screw locations the fabric is not glued.

The screws are accessed by untucking the fabric edge from between the seams, pulling the fabric back to exposed the screw heads, permitting the screws to be removed.

It is possible to detect the screw locations by feeling through the padded foam for the screw heads.

Mine also has welting at certain locations. That welting is retained by RTV adhesive, so pull off, then glue back on at reassembly.

Chris-380
Guest Contributor
Wingless, I also have a 2000 380. Any idea how to fix this?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Chris-380,

That upholstered box is screwed to the ceiling using screws hidden by the upholstery, tucked around the corner into the seam to cover the screw heads after attachment.

My guess is that there is a horizontal wood block attached to the wood-finish closet forward face, then box aft edge is screwed up into that block.

My guess is there is a fore / aft block or blocks attached to the ceiling and the fore / aft top box edge is screwed into that block(s).

The best / easiest way to discover the mounting is to push / feel through the upholstery padding to feel the screw heads. A quick effort on my boat did not discover those hidden screw heads. They are about an inch from the edge.

The box is probably drooping because it was never initially secured properly, maybe from a crooked screw that didn't properly grab.

Chris-380
Guest Contributor
Thank you Wingless, I will be back to the boat one more time on the 25th and will spend some time looking at this, it finally made sense. Where it is hanging down, the fabric is not glued and I bet, (like you said) I pull that back a little further and find the issue