cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Topic: I have an ice maker...

George_DeSchryv
Guest Contributor

New Topic: I have an ice maker on my 1986 Weekender 300 with a cooling fan in the compartment behind the ice maker. The fan did not work so I replaced it. Since then my ice maker quit making ice. The turned it off and let it defrost, plugged it back in, hear it humming but still no ice. Could it be possible the 'filter 'is obstructed? I'm not comfortable with a fan or anything for that matter running when I'm not on the boat.

I have a great mechanic, Steve Neel, he came today and changed out the old fuse blocks (3) with Blue Sea fuse blocks (2). What a difference. No more interuptions  or blown fuses. I'm am so ready to Go boating!!!!!!!!

2 REPLIES 2

wingless
Rising Contributor
Maybe it is humming because it doesn't know the words...

My assumption is that the new fan is operational, but there is an abnormal humming sound, along with no ice, correct?

If the ice maker has a filter, then ensure that it remains clean.

If the filter is clean, no ice and abnormal humming sound, then it is likely that the refrigeration system has a problem, possibly a bad compressor or a freon leak. The compressor should sound normal, like any refrigerator, w/ a motor running sound, not a humming sound.

If the ice maker has failed then replacement may be more cost effective than repair.

On my boat I keep the ice maker running 24/7/365 so I always have cubes ready. Same also w/ the 'fridge, water heater, CO detectors, battery charger, microwave clock, inverter, HDMI splitter / router and CATV box. Other stuff has power applied, but is switched off.

IMO, as long as the wiring meets / exceeds ABYC, the parts are UL listed and everything is in good shape, I keep the boat ready to go, w/ power applied, water hot and ice cubes cold.

wingless
Rising Contributor
An ice maker is a very simple device.

The refrigeration system has a preset thermostat that maintains the interior volume below freezing, like 0°F. It is easy to measure the refrigeration functionality w/ a thermometer.

The ice maker part is also very simple.

The ice cube tray temperature is measured w/ a fixed-setting thermostat. When the ice cube tray reaches the selected below-freezing temperature, a timer motor starts.

The timer motor flips the cubes, then fills the tray w/ water. The water raises the temperature of the fixed-setting thermostat, stopping the timer motor from running continuously. A tray full of water will have to freeze before the thermostat is happy , running the cycle again.