cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returned to our 97' 400DB for our...

Sonyarita
Guest Contributor

Returned to our 97' 400DB for our almost every other or daily visits to find one of the Main Breakers tripped in the MDP, and no raw water pumping for the AC's. Reset the Main and started the Salon A/C, tripped when the Compressor kicked. Checked Shore Power Cables, ok there. They were just purchased 3 weeks ago as well from West Marine. Reset the Main Breaker once again and this time tried the forward AC only with the Salon AC Breaker off on the MDP. Forward AC ran as per usual, checked RWP discharge, nothing. Shut it down and checked Strainer, clean and no obstructions. I let the intake side percolate a bit just for good measure and see free flow of seawater from thru Hull into the Strainer, all good. The AC Relay/Pump Breaker was NOT tripped in the MDP. I didn't have my DMM, as I wasn't prepared to find this issue on my visit, so no Voltage info at this time. Read up on several Forums about Start Capacitors and such. Anyone else had this situation? Going in head first in the a.m. to see what gives here. Any help would be greatly appreciated for a jack of all trades, master of none. Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10

Rakkus
Guest Contributor
I had the same issue on our 1992 370. Thought it was the pump so I replaced it. Wrong. It was the compressor. Replaced the entire unit for $1500 including new wire and a remote. Everything is cool now!

HUMPH
Guest Contributor
It is a good idea to keep a multi meter on the boat for troubleshooting issues. Even a cheap Harbor Freight model can save you time. Verify voltage for each component for starters. If you have voltage leaving the breaker for the pump, check it right at the pump as well. If you do have voltage at the pump, I would replace it as this is not a high dollar item.

Sonyarita
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the feedback, I'm hoping it's not the Compressor for obvious reasons. I had a good Fluke DMM on board but pulled a rookie move at set it on top of the Gunnel, over she went. We're at the foot of a bridge in a "No Wake" Zone thato seemingly a ton of "Water Rednecks" don't understand. Enough of that, so I have another and will check all of this feedback thanks everyone!

mjresq4
Guest Contributor
I have a 2000 340 and had same problem with forward a/c breaker popping, I swapped the breaker out with another one just to rule out a bad breaker and the a/c worked fine. New breaker about $15.00

HUMPH
Guest Contributor
Yeah, the Water Rednecks are everywhere! Good idea to keep a couple of spare breakers on hand. Try flounder pounder (searayparts.com) for breakers.

Sonyarita
Guest Contributor
Strangest thing, we had a Tech from a Marine Dealer come aboard and , as luck would have it, the A/Check fired right up with no issues. This kind of thing drives me nuts! Had him A-Z everything in the Cooling System and the front A/C, oddly, did need a Trigger. Typically that Unit cycles less as its in a lower less outside light transfer area so that makes sense. This being the case, the Salon called for the Pump most so the front A/C call failure never really became obvious. I also had the lines flushed and cleaned, lots of Mud, and the Condenser lines were hotter previously. This may have been an issue building pressure I'm no A/Check Guy really but I'm "sum dumb, not plum dumb". All wires were tight and no corrosion. Gremlins!

SMT
Guest Contributor
Don't know where you keep the boat but if it is warm water check the strainer to see if it able to pass water. If your ac does not get water flow from a plugged strainer your ac will shut down because it reaches a high head pressure. If the strainer is plugged clean it out and you will probably have to prime the pump. This is done by backing off the screws a little to let the water flow out the sides of the pump, Tighten and re introduce power see if it pumps. This may or may not be the answer but it is worth checking.

piccolo
Guest Contributor
I had a 300 sundancer for many years and every year the raw water hose from the sea strainer to the ac unit got plugged with tiny mussels and barnacles building up inside the hose....
Check for free water flow.

Sonyarita
Guest Contributor
Thank you, it's flowing out about 16" from the Hull with a good rate. I have another tech coming this week will advise. Previous Hack that showed up said my forward A/C needed a Trigger? He then charged us $1,400 to "flush Lines" which were flowing same as they are now previously. F.Y.I., stay away from Davidson Marine in Green Cove Springs, FL.!

SMT
Guest Contributor
Check the box beside the unit. I have a 97 450 DA. It did same thing. in the front under the bed and in salon under seat make sure power is off and clean electrical connections. Thst is all it took for me. My A/C is cruse air.