cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We recently purchased our first...

hafnutz67
Guest Contributor

We recently purchased our first boat, a 1995 Sea Ray 230 Sundancer, and we're looking to add a full camper enclosure. Unfortunately, our boat was mfg in Arizona and I believe that the one canvas shop that still has those templates is Harvard Marine in New York. Great Lakes Boat Tops and RNR Marine can provide me with the tops and frames for the TN built Sundancer but they can't guarantee the fit.

So I was wondering if anyone has any experience fitting a canvas (and/or frames) from a Tennessee made Sea Ray to one made in Arizona or if anyone has any experience with Harvard Marine.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
IMO I would not waste my time with this approach. I would find a local boat canvas shop and contract to have the enclosure made. Every canvas shop I know has the skills necessary to make you a very nice enclosure.

paul_claro1_508
Guest Contributor
I agree with Captain Rick. I have a 96 Sedan Bridge and had a local canvas shop do it. Great job and fit.

RogerLShaw
Guest Contributor
I agree with both other comments. Over the years I have had numerous canvas replacements. I have a 1995 250 Sundancer and the local canvas maker did an excellent job and was cheaper. They are also close in case anything is not correct or a snap needs replacement.

Capt_Lance
Guest Contributor
I concur I use local for everything. These folks have to make a living too.

hafnutz67
Guest Contributor
Two of the three local shops I contacted have gotten back to me. One gave me a price but it was nearly what I paid for the boat. I am still waiting for the pricing from the second shop.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
That's a problem with older boats. You have to look at the intrinsic value not just the dollars. Local fabrication is the best approach especially if the boat has never had an enclosure.

Capt_Lance
Guest Contributor
I have one more comment. My previous boat was a 27' and I went to Ann's Canvas Shop here in the Grand Rapids,Mi area. Now I don't know how much you paid for your boat, but it only cost me $1,500 to have a complete re-do including the plastic windows, zippers etc.... It was worth every nickel and when I went to re-sell the boat it was a money well spent. What I'm trying to say is: Don't go on the cheap, go for quality. 🙂

hafnutz67
Guest Contributor
First let me say thanks for the responses. I appreciate all of the help and insight that I can get.
The pricing from both Great Lakes Boat Tops and Harvard Marine were very close to each for the complete package (including frames). Harvard Marine does have the original templates for my particular boat (AZ) whereas GLBT has the templates for the TN made version. I was mostly curious as to if anyone had any experience with Harvard Marine. I've spoken to him on the phone and my only concern is that he is really not much of an email person and prefers to do everything over the phone. As with my work, I prefer email correspondence as it provides a detailed summary of everything that was discussed. This helps eliminate the "I never said that" scenario. I agree, that it would be a better option to go local as they can get their measurements directly from "our" boat but that will obviously depend on cost. I do not want to go cheap (I don't believe that either HM or GLBT fall into that category) but I also can't justify paying 2 to 3 times the cost on our particular boat.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
The biggest issue with mail order canvas and especially enclosures is the fit and finish. You can really screw things up trying to get the ribs set to provide the right tight finish. But good luck.

hafnutz67
Guest Contributor
That's why I'm hoping that one of the local shops will come back with a price that I feel comfortable with.