cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wingless' Custom Anchor Locker Shelf Topic

wingless
Rising Contributor

This topic shows my anchor locker upgrade, to repair delaminated gel coat and to make an elevated shelf so the rode does not sit on the bottom surface.

This was a great improvement when I switched from the optional 200' all-chain rode that was included w/ my boat, to a nice rope / chain rode that I'm using now.

http://forum.toolsinaction.com/topic/14802-wingless-anchor-locker-shelf/
5 REPLIES 5

robertbunch
Guest Contributor
This looks absolutely great! Really well done. Thank you for sharing the step by step approach

HUMPH
Guest Contributor
Nice job, I am curious why you changed from all chain to partial chain? I did just the opposite to have better holding power.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The all-chain is very nice.

The downsides are: massive amount of extra weight, at the worst possible location; chain retrieval brings along every single bit of seafloor crud possible; the additional step of placing / retrieving a snubber hook for extended stays and (in my case) the chain beat up / broke loose the anchor locker gel coat in rough seas.

When I retired by 200' chain rode, two full five gallon buckets and all my strength to move one at a time, I discovered that the boat handled much better and that my top speed increased by 2 mph.

HUMPH, your 420DA is bigger than my 380DA, did you notice any performance decrease when the all-chain rode was installed?

Prior to launching the boat for my second season I installed a raw water bow wash down: through hull; seacock; strainer; a pump, wired to have power w/ the windlass and a hidden deckplate coiled garden hose. I would then stand on the bow, remove the new garden hose deckplate and squirt off the entire length of the rode during retrieval. This was THE ONLY way to keep the anchor locker acceptable. A garden hose squirt at the dock had zero effect.

On the plus side, there were more that one instance where a really smart boater determined the best course of action would have been to cut my rode, only to be sent packing by the all chain rode.

All chain holds really well, but there is no way the rope on my rode will ever break.

Takin_Bets
Guest Contributor
Great job Wingless. Not an easy location to work in.

Catawba_Time
Guest Contributor
Do you still have the old chain rode? I'm looking to switch my 330DA from rope to chain. If so, please advise including your location.