cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest top speed with a 60R

Bseubert
Official Racing Partner

Who's had the highest top speed with a Mercury Racing 60R?   the bigfoot case lets you access a wide variety of prop options so what is everyone getting ?     Some of the recent speed successes with the 60R I've been apart of is using it as a tiller on a Legendcraft Ambush 1756 @ 43mph  and most recently on the Lake and Bay 17 foot skiff during the Florida skiff Challange @ 52 mph. 

Brett Seubert
4 REPLIES 4

JaredPowell
Official Racing Partner

I know the Tuff 16 can get 60 MPH with a Formula 60, but the lower gears in the 60R might hold the top speed back a little. 

Bseubert
Official Racing Partner

Yes the 2.33 gears do present a challenge sometimes but it also does open up different prop selection being a 15 spline instead of 13 spline like the regular 60.    That new tuff 16 is fantastic !! 

Brett Seubert

Bseubert
Official Racing Partner

lake and bay.jpg

lake and bay 52 mph with load and 22 gallons fuel. 

Brett Seubert

Hello Everyone...I need prop help with a 60R please. I'll give you as much tech info as possible without being too winded. I purchased a brand new 60R, dealer fitted it with a Spitfire 17p Stainless 4 blade. Went through the break-in process with this prop only to find at recommended WOT time of break-in, the motor would only reach 4000rpm at WOT. Dealer switched to a 15p, same prop...5000rpm at WOT after break-in. Waiting over a year for dealer to get the same prop in 13p, back ordered from Mercury still.  I reached out to Captain Jim, He's running a 14p 3 blade Vengeance on his 17ft skiff. He didn't like the Spitfire prop that Mercury recommends for the 60R. I'm running a 1957 completely restored Larson Thunderhawk, 15', 1500lbs loaded. A. Given the information provided and your experience, What props are you guys running and would recommend for my application? I want to be in the operating range from 6000-6300rpm. B. What are your thoughts/affects of running and lagging the motor with too big of a prop during break-in procedure. I've been dealing with this all last season and want to have everything on point by opening of next season. I'm thinking a Vengeance Stainless, 13p, 3 blade will get me where I need to be. Thoughts please...! Thank you all for your replies...Christian. 

Community Tips

We want your journey here to be as great as can be, so we have put together some links to help you get quickly familiarized with the Community.