cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello AllI am new to the forum....

justanotherjoe
Guest Contributor

Hello All

I am new to the forum. I have just purchased a 1988 Sea Ray Sundancer 34. I have a question about the steering. I am trying to tighten it up because at this time it is very sloppy.

Thanks

Tony

8 REPLIES 8

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
Is it cable operated or hydraulic?

justanotherjoe
Guest Contributor
Hydraulic

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
Items to check:

#1 check the oil level in your resiviour.
#2 check steering linkages, and pivot joints.

Is this an inboard or inboard/outboard setup?

greatscott
Guest Contributor
just had the same problem i put a new (not rebuilt ) steering cylinder in , now all fixed ,dead on track

justanotherjoe
Guest Contributor
This is an inboard set up. I have checked the reservoir. I will look at the linkages today and will also start looking at steering cylinders.

justanotherjoe
Guest Contributor
Thanks for all the help also does anyone have advice on a affordable and descent autopilot for a 1988 Sea Ray Sundancer 34

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
On an inboard one other thing to check is the packings on the rudder shafts, the can cause some slop in the shaft, but generally the symptoms that this issue creates is a vibration at cruising speed.

You can pick up a decent used autopilot off ebay for a couple hundred bucks, but sometimes that can lead to bigger headaches than they are worth. Ideally you want it to integrate with your existing electronics. I am contemplating building my own from my existing hardware using an arduino or raspberry pi as the controller. (I have already built AC controllers for my HVACS that all needed new circuit boards, Marine Air wanted $900 for each updated board, I have $150 in materials for all 3 units)

greatscott
Guest Contributor
Just put a new steering cylinder in mine ,what a difference, easy to put in BUT you need to bleed it to get all the air out