cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I have a 1976 SRV 220 OV with...

LarryD
Guest Contributor

Hi, I have a 1976 SRV 220 OV with HardTop.  It originally had an OMC stringer drive and OMC 351 Windsor.  I have having the new transom installed next week and will be putting in a Mercruiser Alpha One driven by a 1996 Chev 5.7L Vortec engine in it.

Does anybody here know if the engine "box" will hold the 5.7L in place of the 351 without change.  In otherwords, was the 350 (5.7L) available in 1976 as a drop in replacement option for the OMC 351 except for the type of motor mounts?  I need to replace some rotted wood in the engine bay and need to know if I can simply rebuild it per original or if I have to change the motor mount step to repower.

Also, does anyone have a 1976 (or maybe a 1977 or 78 SRV 220) with the Alpha One.  I would like to verify the correct height of the drive mounting before I cut the new keyhole (I do have an original Mercruiser Alpha One drill fixture).

Thanks....

Larry

2 REPLIES 2

Foulshot59
Guest Contributor
They are both small blocks so there should not be much difference

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
I concur with Foulshot59, both platforms are very close in physical size. Should not need much finessing to make it work.