cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polybutylene water lines (gray)...

MnMwaterlife
Guest Contributor

Polybutylene water lines (gray) 1985 Sea Ray EC390.... when I bought the boat I was aware of the PB water lines in the boat and knew it would be a headace on day.. (I own a construction co and know PB well).. (fittings will crack/fall apart without touching them then..WATER EVERYWHERE) just never thought it would be in the first 6 weeks.... this past Saturday...lolol.. a PB fitting nut just broke in half...(thank god it was kitchen sink aft @ firewall... water entered engine rm and pumped out... yess... turned off water in 45 seconds.. eventually replaced tee with sharkbite... just bought enough push-to-connect fittings to replace everyone I can find... (bout 20) b4 they start to pop....

BTY we where bout to leave the boat and go take the "Dinghaling" to the sand bar and sip whiskey... everything seems to happen @ the correct time for me... because I just turned off my water and we carried-on w boating fun...

Understand PB fittings WILL break without warning.... you have been warned..

3 REPLIES 3

RussB
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the info. My 1989 270 Amberjack also has these gray water lines used in the freshwater system and I have a cracked fitting at the hot water heater output. I did not know a sharkbite fitting will work on this polybutylene pipe! Will now look into that as an option to repair this.

MnMwaterlife
Guest Contributor
if you have the room brass fittings w crimp rings are best... but it requires lots of room to manipulate the crimp tool so push-to-connect is sometimes the only option.. (my tee explostion took place under kitchen sink behind a drawer I only got my head.. & 2 arms into ..just to barely got my hands on the fitting)... only other option was to REMOVE 1/2 the kitchen.... make sure the fitting comes with an "inner" strenthner keep the PB from collapsing.. ..

MnMwaterlife
Guest Contributor
RussB.. I descoverd same leak... but it is nice to hear my new bilge pump doin it's automated thing! the fix continues !