cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Montauk 190 2023 battery switch

Lisarita
Guest Contributor

We have a new Montauk 190. We have had our battery die twice now. In order to prevent this we have to open the side door and turn off the main battery switch. The boat drains power even when everything is off! We are considering having a switch installed on the dash for convenience. I would appreciate other owner’s feedback. 
Lisa

4 REPLIES 4

CaptBrett
Rising Contributor

Hi Lisa, 

I highly recommend this!!!!  I would encourage you to have a 12 v plug and a battery charger as well.  This way, you can plug in the boat to a 110v outlet and keep a slow trickle charge to your batteries.  Also, you want to check for battery drain, there may be something that is drawing current even when things are shut off.  This needs a meter to check.  Call a marine electrician or take to your local whaler dealer, or certified marine tech for help if you're not able to do so yourself.    I just installed the same system on my 2020. 21' Montauk 

Thanks,
Capt. Brett M. Sause
USCG Master Licensed Captain
https://themarineminute.com/

Thank you for your reply! I am hoping the switch on the dash will be our solution. We keep our boat on our dock at the lake and we are too far from a plug in. We have a lithium battery jump starter but it didn’t work since our boat was sitting for a few days. It requires taking the battery out and charging it which is a pain in the you know what. Also, Boston Whaler does not install any side cleats which would VERY helpful having. I am not sure this possible to add on now? Take care,

Lisa

CaptBrett
Rising Contributor

Hi there ,

there is wood blocking in the top of the gunwales. I would urge you to look at the wood blocking diagram that you can get on the Whaler website. regarding the power issue do you not have the ability to run a long extension cord? 

Thanks,
Capt. Brett M. Sause
USCG Master Licensed Captain
https://themarineminute.com/

We will look into the wood blocking on the Montauk! Thanks again, Lisa