cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trolling Motors!

CaptRob
Employee

We get a LOT of questions about trolling motors-the options are seemingly endless but, did you know that we have the answers to the basics that most people ask? Here's a few snips to save you some clicks but check out the page here for more useful info: https://www.bostonwhaler.com/faq.html

"Most trolling motor manufacturers recommend that the center of the motor be at least 9 inches under the surface of the water.

For a general idea of the needed shaft length, measure from the top of the bow to the waterline, as typically loaded.  With a measurement of up to 16 inches, the shaft length should be a minimum of 36 inches; from 17 to 22 inches, a minimum of 42-inches of shaft length is needed; from 23 to 28 inches, the shaft length should be 48 to 52 inches; and from 29 to 34 inches, the shaft length should be 54-62 inches.  If you fish in rough waters, add 5 inches, and if your boat is hand-steered, you should add another 12 inches to get the handle in a useable position."

"For thrust, as a rule, you should always go with the highest thrust motor that your budget will allow.  That way, you will have plenty of reserve power when the wind and currents get stronger.

Boat Length   
11-13 feet 
14-15 feet 
16-17 feet 
18 feet 
19 feet 
20-21 feet 
22 feet  
Minimum Thrust
30 lbs. 
36 lbs. 
50 lbs. 
55 lbs. 
65 lbs. 
74 lbs. 
101 lbs. 

If you typically fish with heavier loads or in rough waters, you may want to choose the next higher thrust motor."

I am a Boston Whaler employee
3 REPLIES 3

Chucky-O
Guest Contributor

Just bought my first boat, 2006 Dauntless 180, and wondering if all 180s have the phenolic in the bow to attach a trolling motor...please advise

indeepship
Guest Contributor

Hi CaptRob - Just wanted to share my recent trolling motor installation on my 2017 BW 250 Outrage just in case anyone is interested. I went with a Rhodan 36V HD GPS Anchor+ with a 72in shaft and 120lb thrust mounted to the ShuttleSlide (EXD-7) with 9in extension plate (BMAP-RE) and backing plate (BKP-1). I didn't want the shaft to interfere with bow seating so I had to install it in the bow-to-aft direction but had to remove the anchor from the roller to deploy the motor without interference (anchor is in the bow storage for emergencies). For power, I use a 36V 63aH Dakota Lithium battery which is currently in a DIY cooler until I figure out a more permanent rigging solution inside the console. In hindsight, i would recommend the 84in shaft if using in rougher waters.

IMG_1813.jpgIMG_2054.jpg

av8torx
Guest Contributor

Hi,   I own a 2020 BW 170 Montauk.   I bought it with the split rail.  I wish I bought the trolling motor from the factory because now I’m envious of folks with trolling motors.   I want to add a trolling motor without cutting my rails.  Anyway to add one by attaching it to the rails or mounting one in between the split in the rail?  I’m looking for the least evasive way to mount one on my boat.  I have seen aftermarket mounts on Amazon that attach to boat rails.  Is there a way to attach a trolling motor under the rails etc etc?   I’m open to any suggestions.   Thanks Dave