cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are based out of Hoboken, NJ...

davidrodin
Guest Contributor

We are based out of Hoboken, NJ with a first boat (newly acquired) 2004 280 Sundancer and would like to take a week-long trip out to Montauk with our 16 year old son. We are not familiar with marinas, and would appreciate it very much if someone who knows the North shore of Long Island and the Greenport/Montauk/Sag Harbor/Shelter Island area could give some advice. I know there is only so much one can do with a 16 year old on a boat, so we are hoping to find marinas with a pool, near a town or things to do. We are also struggling with sleeping, v-birth a little too short, so might actually spend a few nights on land... I know, it's crazy, but waking up tired and sore takes away from the vacation. We have looked at DockWa and various guides. There are too many options! I hope someone can give us some good recommendations. Thank you in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the 280DA master stateroom bed is small. Is the mid stateroom bed larger?

For the master stateroom, does it work better for the heads to be on the aft starboard corner and the feet going to the port and to forward?

The wife also finds the OEM bed to be uncomfortable. I can sleep anywhere and don't have any issue.

FWIW, when we're on the hook I frequently sleep in the cockpit.

davidrodin
Guest Contributor
Thanks Wingless, great idea about sleeping direction. We will give that a try. I wish I could sleep anywhere, but that is something only our 16 year old can pull off! He would sleep right on deck quite happily!

cowboygolfer
Guest Contributor
Once you hit Long Island Sound, there is Manhasset Bay which is home to Manhasset Bay Marina. You can grab a mooring or a slip. You can drop an anchor in Oyster Bay or Huntington as well as a slip in Port Jefferson. Much of it depends on how far you want to travel before stopping. From Manhasset Bay which 30 minutes from the Throgs Neck Bridge Montauk it is 5 hours at 20 knots, give or take.