cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two questions regarding the bilge...

Stretch05
Guest Contributor

Two questions regarding the bilge pump on my 2015 19SPX:

1) What's the minimum amount of water that there needs to be in the bilge in order for the pump to work its magic?

2) From the time I turn the pump on, how long should it take for water to start spitting out?

First boat... thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Andy
Guest Contributor
About #1, I think it depends on what kind of switch and bilge pump you have. Mine is a flip switch that turns on when there is about 1.5" of water. It also turns on when you flip a switch on the dash. Regarding #2, once it is turned on, the water should start coming out in about 5 seconds or less.

Stretch05
Guest Contributor
Interesting. I have a feeling mine doesn't turn on automatically. I know I've pulled out the plug at the end of a day of boating to find lots of water comes pouring out. I've definitely got the switch at the helm. I assume the blog's is the area I'm looking at under the engine? Sometimes hard to tell how much water can be under there. I'll start paying more attention to it next season to better understand the ins and outs of it all. Thanks for your response!

Joey_O
Guest Contributor
Being new to boating, I like to know how my system works. Before putting in water, I put the plus in the back of the boat. While cleaning/rinsing out the bilge, I let the water build up until the pump kicks on so I have a mental visual image of how much water gets in there prior to pump kicking on. If you have access to the bilge pump switch, you can also lift it to hear if it is coming on. (Also a great time to check and make sure no debris is down there to interfere with the pump and/or switch). Best of luck!!!!!

EricN
Guest Contributor
I bought a factory new 2015 19 SPX select and there were several wiring issues that were incorrect coming out of the factory. One was my bilge pump. After extensive testing (which I had to do myself, the dealer didn't even catch this), we determined that the bilge pump was not correctly wired to the battery and wasn't coming on at all - even with the float switch activated. The only way the pump would come on was with the battery switch ON (not correct), and with the manual bilge pump switch in the ON position. I would contact your dealer, ask them to trouble shoot the electrical system and specifically the bilge pump wiring. FYI, this wasn't the only thing that came incorrect from the factory on my boat. Some have told me that factory issues aren't uncommon with the boats that are now being made in Mexico due to QC issues.

searayspx19
Guest Contributor
I ran into some factory issues on my 2017 19SPX OB as well. The tachometer was not wired correctly. I also found a screwdriver in my bilge along with a few handfuls of loose foam and fiberglass shavings that would have clogged my bilge had I not caught them.

Stretch05
Guest Contributor
Thanks everyone for the comments so far. The hatch for the battery and cooler access rubbed hard against the main body. I'd have to give a gentle fist pound to get the hatch down all the way. The dealer filed down the hatch so it wouldn't rub. The locker door on the port side got stuck shut. The locking mechanism was getting jammed. They had to file that down too. Now twice, they've fixed minor spider cracks in the water channel that runs under the throttle and to the back of the boat. Whether I leave the drain plug in, or take it out from the ski locker in the floor, I somehow always seem to get some water in there. And with the position of the drain hole slightly above the floor of the locker area, it's nearly impossible to get water out, unless you mop or use a rag to soak it up. Standing water can start to stink. It's been lots of little things... and I don't think I'm being unreasonable. I still love the boat!

Hugo
Guest Contributor
Hey, Sea Ray is a great brand but I find that similar to other brands that are gold standards of the industry, the older products are much better than the current years. That's why I scoured the internet, dealers, etc. until I found a 2003 sr220. Unfortunately, I think quality and competency is just not what t used to be unless you're at the very top end.
Good luck.