cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 Sundancer44 - more questions....

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor

2006 Sundancer44 - more questions. 1st question - The mirror in the aft bathroom has a hinge at the top, thus appears to be able to fold up ---- however, I am not 100% sure. I don't want to lift it from the bottom and risk breaking the mirror.  Unsure what is behind the mirror, if it does indeed open. 2nd question - In the Sundancer44 owners manual, it indicates the gasoline powered 44s utilize group 27 batteries while the diesel versions utilize group 31 batteries. I have diesel engines, but all group 27 batteries. The engines start fine so am curious as to why each version specs out a different battery. Thanks  for all your assistance-- FFFFAST

12 REPLIES 12

wingless
Rising Contributor
The Group 27 case is slightly smaller than the Group 31 and it has slightly less Ah capacity. Both batteries have identical dimensions at the base, where contained by the battery tray, permitting exchanging either without difficulty.

It is expected that the original batteries had already reached end of life and have been replaced, explaining why the manual says the diesel should have Group 31, but Group 27 batteries are installed.

The factory installed five Group 27 batteries and I have upgraded to six Group 31 batteries for more on hook run time. I use the Lifeline GPL-31XT because they have the greatest capacity of all batteries in this size.

https://lifelinebatteries.com/products/marine-batteries/gpl-31xt/

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
Hi Wingless- thank you very much for your quick response- appreciate it as always. My current 27 batteries are in great condition, so I’ll replace with 31s in the future as needed. Any idea as to the mirror? Happy boating!!

wingless
Rising Contributor
No images showing mirror.

Why not post image(s)?

wingless
Rising Contributor
No images located online showing mirror.

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
Wingless - I will load two photos... one from the outside of the bathroom/shower looking in at the mirror while the second is from the ceiling looking down on the mirror showing the hinges which appear to allow the mirror to swing out and up.

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
And the second photo -- thanks for any suggestions as to how this opens. I take it that the sole purpose is to access the pocket door for potential repairs. Thanks

wingless
Rising Contributor
Thanks for the images.

Assuming you've already thought to lift the bottom and that didn't work...

Is an image available showing the top corner?

Has the bottom edge been pushed inwards to determine if that will release the catch?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Why not also post images of the problematic pocket door.

What issues exist?

Frequently the best option is to remove upper / side trim, reciting appropriate curse words and attempt repair through the slightly increased pocket gap.

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
Hi Wingless. To answer your question, there are no problems with the pocket door. I’m curious as to why there are hinges on the mirror and how to open it/what’s behind it. My assumption is only that it is to access the pocket door. I just want to know how to swing the mirror up and away from the wall. Thank you!’

wingless
Rising Contributor
Is an image available showing the top corner?

Has the bottom edge been pushed inwards to determine if that will release the catch?

CCH
Guest Contributor
So I have the same boat, and had the same two questions. As for the mirror, it does swing, but I have nothing behind mine. Only answer as to why it does this I have ever seen was something to do with keeping the mirror from cracking…as for the batteries, the 27s provide the necessary and recommended crank for the Cummins diesels. I think the 31 was either an option, or used on non US boats.

FFFFAST
Guest Contributor
Wingless and CCH - re: the mirror, the fact that it moves a tad via the hinge makes a lot of sense in that it won't crack in rough seas. On the other hand, I'm not sure that any of the other mirrors are hinged, but will check the next time to my boat. Very odd if this is the case, in that mirrors towards the bow would take more a beating than those towards the stern. re: the batteries, CCH's response seems to make sense, so I won't worry so much about changing over to 31's anytime too soon. Thank you to you both for your assistance. I am sure I will have many other questions over the coming weeks/months. Happy Boating!