cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BostonWhaler
Team Whaler
Team Whaler
  1. What is your name, boating location and Boston Whaler model?

Hello, my name is Capt. Brett M. Sause, from Oxford Maryland. Username: @CaptBrett 

2. What was (or is) your first Whaler? 

Last year my wife and I purchased a 2020 21' Montauk from our local whaler dealer (Chesapeake Whalertown). More about that later.

At age 18, I worked with Mr. Rick Boulay for a time selling Boston Whalers. Back then, the dealership was called Baltimore Chris Craft. They have consistently been named the largest whaler dealer in the Mid-Atlantic. At this time, I was the proud owner of a 1971 17' Montauk. 71' was the last year; the title said Fisher-Pierce, and the inside color was a sweet baby blue. I was the 4th owner of this boat when I bought it.

The boat was equipt with a beautiful mahogany console, an anchor locker, a seat in front of the console, and saddle fuel tanks under the reversible pilot seat. A 1977 850 h.p Mercury outboard-powered this boat. This boat was indeed A 16-year-olds dream.

I used the boat for two years before the main bearing of the Merc went up. It wasn't worth fixing then, so I purchased a brand new 1995 90 h.p. Mercury outboard, at the same time, I decided to have the boat's interior repainted desert tan and a fiberglass console made. When she was done, the boat resembled a 1980's model year. I carried before and after pictures in my sales binder. I would show my photos when a potential boat buyer met with me about their dream whaler purchase. I never heard a negative word. I am confident it helped me sell more.

At age 25, I decided to upgrade again. This time I had gone back to Baltimore Chris Craft and ordered a brand new 1999 23' Conquest equipt with a 225 hp Mercury Optimax. She was a beast of a boat and my first cuddy cabin boat. Five years later, I sold her and moved back to another 17' Montauk '95. This led to a 2012 16' Dauntless, then 1988 17' Montauk, and 2005 17' Montauk. To the current whaler 2020 21' Montauk.

BostonWhaler_1-1657748336723.jpeg

3. What’s your preferred/favorite way to use your Whaler?

Crabbing, my wife loves nature watching, just slow running in and out all of the small tributaries on the bay. 

4. What’s your go-to boating location / favorite spot to boat? 

Rock hall MD, and Annapolis. 

5. What's your favorite memory aboard a Boston Whaler?

My favorite memory is when my father and I went to see and buy the first whaler '71 Montauk.  I was in heaven.  

BostonWhaler_0-1657748280748.jpeg

Interested in being our next feature? Private message @BostonWhaler and let us know!

3 Comments