cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BostonWhaler
Team Whaler
Team Whaler

1. What Boston Whaler model(s) do you own or previously have owned and where do you do your boating?

13’ Whaler and a 17’ Montauk. Lake Winnisquam, New Hampshire, and northeast coastline from Maine to Nantucket Island, Massachusetts.

2. What drew you to the Whaler brand?

It’s unsinkable reputation. I decided to visit the factory when it was located in Massachusetts. I lived in New Hampshire.

3. What’s your preferred/favorite way to use your Whaler?

Fishing and cruising.

4. What’s your favorite memory on your Whaler?

In my 1978 17’ Montauk. A cruising trip from Eliot, Maine, to Nantucket Island, Massachusetts, through the Cape Cod Canal in September 1985.

5. Any additional notes/tidbits? Please share!

With full canvas on, purchased from Boston Whaler, I hit heavy seas going through Buzzard’s Bay with breaching waves. At one point, I was standing in ankle deep water with the bilge pump working furiously. I made Lewis Bay on the Cape at 2130 hrs. The next day, a Friday, I was out cruising and had my marine radio on and an announcement came on about a BW fishing derby that was on for the weekend on Nantucket Island. I was always prepared when I was on the water for extended trips. So off I went. I found someone on the island that was looking for a boat so he went with me. Unfortunately, we were shut out. No fish caught! The year before I had taken a complete navigation course from the Manchester New Hampshire Amoskeag Power Squadron. After the days fishing, I decided to head for Lewis Bay in the dark. I chartered my course with only my compass back then. The most important basic lesson I learned from that course was always believe the compass and not my feelings of not going in the correct directions. At the appropriate time I slowed down and a few minutes later I came within viewing of the marker I was looking for. What a beautiful feeling that was. Just one of many moments I had by myself and so many I had with my family on a Whaler.

image - Don Mafera.jpg