cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BostonWhaler
Team Whaler
Team Whaler
  1. What is your name, boating location and current owned Boston Whaler model?

My name is James Maloney, boating primarily out of Little Neck, Ipswich (Ipswich Bay/Ipswich River, Ipswich, MA) and also Newburyport, MA/Merrimack River

I currently have two Boston Whalers, and a previous owner of a 1986 Montauk 17’ from 2007-2012, that was the first boat I bought with my own money. The two other Whalers have been in my family for a while, the 13’ since before I was born:

1973 13' Boston Whaler Sport 

1989 15' Boston Whaler Super Sport 

IMG_7990.jpg

2. What was (or is) your first Whaler? 

The first one I had was the 1973 13' Boston Whaler Sport, still have it today.

IMG_7993.jpg

3. What’s your preferred/favorite way to use your Whaler? 

Lately I have been getting into fishing, but growing up it was tubing, knee-boarding, and lobstering, but for the most part I really love just entertaining and cruising around the Annisquam River and around Cape Ann waving to other boaters.

IMG_7991.jpg

4. What’s your go-to boating location / favorite spot to boat? 

By far it is the Ipswich River, and Little Neck where I grew up, which we have held a couple moorings there for our Whalers for the last 30+ years.

IMG_7999.jpg

5. What’s your favorite memory on your Whaler?

It was with my father, Bob Maloney, when he let me shuttle my classmates from 5th grade party across the Ipswich River from Little Neck Beach to Crane Beach, solo. He told me he was really proud of my boating skills, and said “you’re ready for the big leagues, just make sure not to show off, these are not toys, and you have to always take care of your passengers, it’s a big responsibility Jamie.” I was so proud of myself.

IMG_7996.jpg

6. Any other notes/tidbits?

Part of my passion and allegiance to Boston Whaler’s in particular is from my father, Bob Maloney, he always went with the “sturdy, hardworking, non show off boats” and this is why he loved Whalers, he passed away in 2021, but he was so proud to see me and my siblings grow our boating skills, starting out on lakes in New Hampshire with the little 13’ Whaler when we were basically infants to young teenage years, then chewing us out when we would jump wake on the 15’ Whaler later in life out in the Ipswich Bay, to basic care and maintenance. When I bought my first boat, I was right out of college and broke, I was able to come up with about half of the price of this beautiful 1986 17’ Boston Whaler Montauk, my Dad helped me out and got me my dream boat. I took such great care of it, treated the teak every year, constantly cleaned and cared for it, he loved to see how it built character. He loved watching us enjoy what he enjoyed, just cruising down Fox Creek, or the Annisquam or anywhere. Now I get the opportunity to share that love and joy with the same boats we learned on as kids. It’s a really wonderful feeling!

IMG_7997.jpg