cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello all I have a 1990 350DA (later...

jimboc
Guest Contributor

Hello all I have a 1990 350DA (later called a 370) with 7.4L Mercs and Hurst V drive trans' in tunnels.  I am the 3rd owner. The 2nd owner was very meticulous on maintenance and he claims the 1st owner was as well.  At this point, (knocking wood) everything, including original radar and auto pilot is still functional.  Engines have about 1600 hours on them and she will still get up on plane and run at as original spec levels for rpm, cruising speed with tabs and top speed @ proper WOT.  I live in the northeast with a short boating season which explains relatively low hours for the year (but will retire to Florida where I can boat year round in 10 years )

I keep her slipped at our boat club near Albany NY on the Mohawk River which is part of the NY State Canal system, and usually only go no more than 7 to 14 miles on a given weekend between 2 locks.   And a lot of time is spent rafting off at  anchor hanging out with friends listening to music eating drinking  swimming etc

Question is, I plan on taking a long trip this year through the canal which combines natural rivers and man made cuts to the Oswego river to Lake Ontario to my parents cottage.   It is about the 2 and a 1/2 day trip each way  And about 420 miles round trip.   

Although she's running good now, I was thinking of having compression tests or leak down tests done on both engines to make sure they are up to the challenge, and if so, besides plugs and fluid changes, replacing all the belts, hoses and risers as preventative maintenance before the trip to minimize the likelihood of things failing.

I know something else could still go wrong but I thought I would feel safer if I do all this.  Asking my friends a lot of them say if it's running good now why bother spending the money and I'm not satisfied with that answer because it would be worth it to me if it would make her more likely to handle such a trip. I thought I'd put this out there and ask the experts?

7 REPLIES 7

270SDASE
Guest Contributor
I would make sure the outdrive(s) have new bellows incl. shift cable bellows/boot. Since that requires outdrive removal, make sure you check/lube the knuckle u-joint for play & replace if needed.

Jolly
Guest Contributor
IT A V Drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Agree on compression check...are you maintaining v drive fluid change protocol! Best Wishes

jimboc
Guest Contributor
@Bill Weimer Boat has inboards with Hurth V drives, boat is too big and heavy for I/Os

jimboc
Guest Contributor
@J Thomas Smyth appreciate response on the compression checks. I just bought it late last summer and don't have the manuals They are on the boat still under shrink wrap sadly because the weather has not consistently warmed up yet. Do you know off hand what the V drive fluid change interval is? and is there a drain on the bottom of the transmissions or do I have to siphon it out of the fillers at the top?

Holt
Guest Contributor
I have a 1990 350 Express Cruiser. Recent other maintenance I just performed was replacing the secondary, in line fuel filters located in line on the port and starboard sides toward the stern. I also opened up the large water intake strainers and cleaned the baskets.

Holt
Guest Contributor
Mind you mine has straight shafts so location of strainers might be different

jimboc
Guest Contributor
@Craig Lescombe Thank you. boy gotta love all that space having straight shafts in the EC. The v-drives in the DA mean a lot less space in the engine department .