cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m a newbie. Inherited a 1999...

Teak
Guest Contributor

I’m a newbie. Inherited a 1999 260-DA. Mechanics appear to be in good shape but needs some cosmetic updates. Any tips or ideas on acquiring topside skins to replace the originals?  Also looking for tips on upholstering or cleaning/changing out the headliner - it has some water stains. 

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

KevinC
Guest Contributor
I had a 2003 260DA for many years and loved it. If by skins you are referring to the canvas my company is a distributor for Great Lakes Boat Top that was the OEM for Sea Ray for that model. You can get my info from www.covemarine.com and I would be happy to answer any questions. As far as upholstery goes I had alsmost every piece of material or vinyl in the 260 either off and cleaned or sewn and recovered. I can certainly provide some tips. For the headliner it is a foam backed vinyl that is glued in. I would try cleaning with something like Spray 9 before trying to replace. Just as a note try to stay away from chemicals like bleach as they will dry out the vinyl and also cleaners like softscrub can wear off the surface.

-Kevin

fwebster
Guest Contributor
Sea Ray doesn't supply vinyl for boats no longer in production, so even the local SR dealers cannot get OEM seat skins from SR. Yourr best/only source for replacing vinyl seat skins is to get a good local canvas-upholstery shop to recover the seats for you.

mjresq4
Guest Contributor
I used Great Lakes on my 260 and my 340 over the years and both times had excellent results. But sure where you are but there is a guy here that bought yards and yards of upholstery from Sea Ray.

Puck
Guest Contributor
If your vynle is salvageable you might try SEMs vynle paint system before spending large. You get amazing, like new results and you can get the identical sea Ray Mystic White color

KevinC
Guest Contributor
Not to mention that even if you could get the exact vinyl it probably would not look like the vinyl on your boat because of aging and weathering. I have an original piece from my 2004 340 that was in storage since new. I got it from the original owner and it's a huge difference in color.

Teak
Guest Contributor
Thanks all much appreciated. I ordered some Spray 9 to try on the headliner and have found a good upholstery shop at my lake. Kevin will contact you if we can’t salvage our Bimini top. Going to take to the car wash. The vinyl paint for the canvas topside sounds intriguing and might give that a try first. Nothing to lose.

One more question. Have used some marine compound to clean and buff bottom fiberglass with mixed results. Any tips. The top appears to be a slightly different material- anything different needed on that? Thanks again.

KevinC
Guest Contributor
Here is a link to Sunbrella cleaning tips:

https://www.sunbrella.com/en-us/how-to-clean/clean-sunbrella-upholstery

Puck
Guest Contributor
I got the Sems products via Amazon. If you follow the steps, i.e., clean, paint, anti tack, you'll be amazed.