cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 2005 Sundancer 280 seems to...

BMann
Guest Contributor

My 2005 Sundancer 280 seems to have a port side engine gear lube oil leak...any idea where it might be and how I might go about diagnosing it?  I have a great engine mechanic friend IF I can locate it and it's topside, if not I need to go another route.  That said diagnosing where the problem is will be key in who I call for help!  Thanks for your thoughts and ideas, I figure someone out there has to have experienced this/must know more than I!

4 REPLIES 4

Scott3262
Guest Contributor
Unless you see gear lube, green residue, in the bulge, you will have to pull the boat to crack while on the hard. It could be a few things, such as the hose at the connection to the out drive. Old Hose, leaking prop seals and I’m sure there are a few others. If it is leaking in the bulge it is much easier to find unless it is ow and behind the motor at or near the transom.

BillThomas
Guest Contributor
I had the same problem. It ended up being a cracked plastic fitting between the upper and lower unit on the outdrive. Replaced that and was good to go. The boat was brand new - the MarineMax captain ran it aground on the sea trial before I bought the boat...….. that seems to be the only explanation. See if you have a slick on the water above the respective outdrive then that is the probably the issue. If leaking in the bilge, then check the 90 degree plastic hull fitting between the bilge and the outdrive - MarineMax broke this removing the outdrive looking for the leak. Then I had two leaks they could not fix. Finally had to change marinas to get mechanics that found the problem in 3 days - MarineMax caused more damage by not knowing what they were doing. Good luck.

lance
Guest Contributor
I used to have a 2007 260 had same problem. Marinemax pulled the prop and found that the prop shaft had a crack. Mercruiser had some issues with that on the bravo 3 outdrives l was lucky it was covered under warranty

BMann
Guest Contributor
Following up (perhaps for others in the future). It turned out to be my gear lube oil lines/tubes in the outdrive. Had them both replaced (also did basic rebuild - impellers, bellows, anodes etc. while out of the water).