cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Sundancer 280 was discontinued?

boatereng
Guest Contributor

I'm wondering why Sundancer 280 was discontinued. We bought one 2006 and love it but the previous owner abused her abd with the discovered leaks we are not sure she can be saved. we would like so much to have a new with twin 4.3 L but Sea Ray discontinued the production back in 2008. Maybe we are not the  only ones unhappy with this decision, since now it is so hard to find a more recent 280 which is  still light enough to be towed but roomier than similar other models at the same lenght. Also, the twin engines are a must for us, why more recent 280 di not have twin engines option?

4 REPLIES 4

SEE_RAY34
Guest Contributor
Because the 08 and up 280 is Daly the 260 with slight modifications

boatereng
Guest Contributor
if you meant same series 260, Sundancer 280 from 2008 was the last to offer twin engines, 280 has wider, longer and heavier hull, much larger tanks, and is rated for much more powerful engines. They just don't compare.Now there just are no more comparable towable cruisers.

SEE_RAY34
Guest Contributor
Yup I wasn’t sure what year they change that but they did some slight call modifications and called the 260 or 280 because they were adding the platform making a 28 foot so you Gotta be very careful

boatereng
Guest Contributor
Yeah, what should really count is the LOA of the displacement portion of the hull, not that otherwise great addition of nearly 2 feet swim platform seducing many former owners selling her to claim her as a 31 ft boat. In Sundancer 280 this swim platform is rather low. Great if you are swimming or diving from it but bad without lower plate to push away the water when you go planning. A lot of DIY project improvements for those willing to play with the base setup. I just wanted for Sea Ray to realize that hey are missing customer demands and business opportunities.