cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have any experience...

The_AVA_MARIE
Guest Contributor

Does anyone have any experience with updating the original Clairon radio in a 2001 240DA. Looking for a recommendation on either a wired or angled workable remote radio. If wired need info on replacing the 6 pin cable with a new 8 pin cable. If wireless remote need one that will work other than only at 90 degree angle.

10 REPLIES 10

Capt_Lance
Guest Contributor
I just bought this to install in my Sundancer 300:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QCVWDG0?keywords=Kenwood%20KDC-X599%20Single%20DIN%20AptX%20Bluetooth%20In-Dash%20CD%2FAM%2FFM%20Receiver%20with%20Android%2FiPhone%20Compatibility&qid=1455446105&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Good choice

The_AVA_MARIE
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the info. How well does your remote for the Kenwood work? My radio is located in the cabin and from the helm that would be about a 50 degree angle.

Capt_Lance
Guest Contributor
This is the info I got from an Amazon Review...

What works well in the store display doesn't work well in real use. I do like all the features as this radio offers a lot but using it makes it no fun. The sound on my OEM speakers did slightly improve with the Kenwood KDCX599. The receiver fits well in my Dodge Ram.and looks professional.

The (mostly) bad: The buttons are small. This was not a problem in the store, but changing radio stations while driving is a challenge as the buttons are small and hard to touch accurately. It does come with a small remote. I do like the remote for basic controls. It is easier to use but it's also something else that I need to keep handy in my truck. The volume knob looks handsome as it does not stick out much from the unit, but trying to turn it in the truck took practice. Using the source button, you can choose radio, Pandora, AUX, iHeartradio, CD, SiriusXM, Bluetooth, etc. The bad thing about all these options it that to go from FM radio to CD, I have to hit the source button 5 times! No, you can't just hold it down and watch it cycle through. The unit is slow to change sources and this takes several seconds. Also, in every other radio/CD combo I have used, when you stop and/or eject the CD, the unit automatically switches to radio. Not the Kenwood. You have to cycle through the sources.

FM radio. Good reception. Nice lighted display. One nice feature is the dsip-scrl button which lets you choose to display song title, artist, album, radio station, etc. On bright sunny days this is useless as the units' plastic (glass?) is highly reflective and is unreadable (see picture). At night, it looks and reads great. Also, if you live in a cold climate, the radio scroll becomes all one illegible blur when the temperature drops below 10 degrees.

The good: The Kenwood performs great when using my phone. It quickly paired with my iPhone and so far it has been flawless. The included mic picks up sound well and callers always say my voice is clear. When a call comes in, the radio/ CD etc., sounds stops then resumes automatically when you hang up with the volume nearly constant. (E.g., the volume in my Ford triples when a call comes in and hurts the ears). I really appreciate that I do not have to adjust the volume during these transitions.

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Sea Ray Owners Club

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Sounds like an OK auto unit. Maybe you should look at a true marine unit like Clarion...may cost a few bucks more but....

Willy
Guest Contributor
If you are looking for a true marine stereo I would suggest Fusion. I replaced clarion and speakers and added speakers in my 2000 BR185 SeaRay and it works great. This is a unit that is really designed for the marine environment. Head Unit is a MS-RA205

Bluray
Guest Contributor
Go on eBay and search remote extender they make one in which you replace one of the batteries in ANY wireless IR remote and the batt/transmitter transmits the signal to a receiver you stick to front of receiver eye on radio. They work! And have surprising range +\_ 100yards through walls.. Put any radio with a remote in and put remote in clear plastic kayak waterproof bag

Seevee
Guest Contributor
I'm also looking for a remote for my 2003 Clarion remote head that's readable (attached). Overall the unit works fine, even though it's old technology. The DVD player is good enough for all the music I need. (I'm still trying to figure out how to shut the cockpit speakers off for the evening.
For the OP, if your unit works at all, there's an argument to keep it, if not (or you want something better) just replace the whole thing. Suspect yours is similar to mine.
Seevee 280 2003 Sundancer

Admiral_Purrl
Guest Contributor
WE had a clarion stereo in a 2004 280. There should be a function for "Front and Rear" F / L volume. You can turn the front or rear from 0-10 and that should switch off the cockpit speakers. I'm sorry I can't recall exactly which function it is but if you have the manual it should tell you. It should be where the fade left to right switch function.

Admiral_Purrl
Guest Contributor
Sorry just read this and it's F/R not "L"...